Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Some advice

In my fridge is something that makes me giddy with delight. It's not even cooked yet and I'm drooling. The best advice I can give you this week is to make this recipe very very soon.

Thin sliced sirloin tip steak - I get mine at Aldi. In Cali we would get it at WinCo and it was a bit cheaper. If you don't live near an Aldi or WinCo then you should consider moving. I miss WinCo so much that I could cry. Anyway, get some sort of thinly sliced meat. The meat we get costs a lot more than we would usually spend on a meal, but this is a special summertime treat for us and it's cheaper than going out to eat! If you want to save on the meat you can get some to slice yourself or use chicken. We made it with chicken the other night and it was very tasty, and healthier too!

Marinade:
3/4 cup oil
3/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/3 cup lemon juice (I like to add a tad bit more)
1/2 cup white vinegar
2 tbs dry mustard
2 tbs finely chopped cilantro (I used dried cilantro because the fresh stuff makes me want to puke - and the dried is already chopped for ya!)
2 tsp salt
2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder

Mix it all up and add the meat. Let marinade for however long ya want. I've done it all day but I've also done it for like 2-3 hours and it's pretty good. And then grill up the meat! We use a charcoal grill and I have little respect for those that don't ;) Actually, when we were at my parents house they did this recipe with chicken and just broiled it in the oven and it was really,really tasty. But since it is summer, GRILL IT! :) You can eat it just plain (that's what Roy does since he's on Atkins) or you can serve it in a tortilla with all of your favorite burrito toppings - beans, rice, sour cream, guacamole, salsa, lettuce, cheese - you get the picture. But don't put too much or you'll cover up the taste of the deliciously marinated meat!! Seriously, my mouth is watering because I'm imagining the taste of the meat. I can't wait for tonight! I might take pictures :)

8 comments:

lindsey said...

I haven't had carne asada is YEARS! i might just have to make it after payday :)

Katie said...

I really really need to make this again. Our Aldi sells some meat that I think is even labeled as being for carne asada. Is that what you use?

I definitely like the charcoal, but I am way to lazy for it. Gas grill for us. If it is good enough for Bobby Flay, it is good enough for me ;o)

Katie said...

Oh, and I have no respect for people who don't respect fresh cilantro!!!

Ashley said...

I bought some fresh cilantro and tried to use it, but I couldn't even stand to take it out of its bag! And I wasn't even pregnant. Weird, but I just can't stand it.

Prof. Wright said...

Same thing, anyway.

Olivia Carter said...

You better take pictures it sounds divine!

Christie said...

Is that Mom and Dad's recipe? I've lost it and have been improvising my own. Have some in the freezer right now as part of my pre-baby stockpiling. I'm usually lazy/cheap and use thicker slices of meat than is really best, but it's still great. Oh, and I used dried cilantro too.

Ashley said...

Sorry, I didn't take pictures. We had company over and things were too chaotic to stop and take pictures (and it would have been a little weird, but they would have understood) Christie, yeah, it's mom and dad's recipe. And we are usually pretty cheap about how much we spend on meat, but this is our exception about every 2 weeks. :)