Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Getting creative

Since our nice big house is gonna be an extra $200 a month in rent, we are trying to find ways to save money. I decided that our grocery bill has been way too high, and that we shop way too often. We've been going to either Walmart or Aldi at least 4-5 days a week. It's easy to do because they are so close by. But in Fayette our shopping will be 25 miles away - so either we need to learn to shop once a week or we'll be wasting a lot of money on gas!

So this week I gave Roy $20 and told him that was his Walmart allowance for the week! He is pretty much on his own for his food - he does his own weird thing. But for me and the kids I decided that I was going to go as long as I could this week without going to the store. I usually try to go on Mondays and stock up on food for the week, but I always end up making more trips. So this time I'm trying to use up all the stuff in our cupboards, fridge and freezer. I probably won't go to the store until we run out of milk!

Yesterday, since we were low on our basic staples, I had to get a little creative. Oh, and another part of my goal is to make sure I use all of my produce before it goes bad. So I thawed some salmon that I had in the freezer and grilled it on my foreman grill. Then I flaked it and mixed it with Wacky Mac, raw broccoli, red onion and baby carrots and some parmesan italian dressing. TASTY! It was even better today after sitting the fridge overnight. The kids didn't like it, but I put some of the wacky mac aside and mixed it with butter and parm. cheese and they ate that along with a little bit of salmon.

I've been trying to get my kids to eat cooked carrots, but they hate them, so today I blended them up into a puree and mixed it with their mac and cheese. Hahaha :)

For dinner we are having homemade pizza. It feels good to use up the mozzarella cheese and pepperoni that has been in the freezer. And it's always fun to use my bread machine :)

Anyway, I know it is only Tuesday, but I'm feeling good about this new goal. I've been relying heavily on prepared foods for the kids (like chicken nuggets and tater tots) so it's good for me to learn a few new recipes and cook from scratch. I'm hoping that when I do go to the store all I'll need to buy is milk, eggs and some fresh produce. I'll let ya know how it goes :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

good luck! i love the puree carrots in mac & cheese---i used to do that to get more vegetables into my kids' diets...yay!

Cheney Family said...

Good Luck! I try to do the same thing. I make a monthly dinner menu and do one huge shopping trip a month (but we have a full size freezer so it works out). I still end up going to the store once a week for produce and milk but you are less likely to pick up random items with a shorter list :) But its fun when you discover that making bread w/o yeast isn't so bad...just like sandwiches on a tortilla. Or smashing up frozen strawberries and sugar is an alright sub for jelly ;)