Thursday, June 10, 2010

Movin' on up! *Edited to add picture*

Ladies and gentleman .... for the first time in the 8 years of Wright family history....we will be living in a house! Still renting, but at least a house that doesn't share walls with any other houses!!!! I am beyond excited. When we first found out we were moving to Fayette we looked for places for rent and just couldn't find anything. So we considered living in Columbia but really felt like we should give Fayette a try. So we started looking at houses for sale, but really didn't feel like we could make that commitment. We finally found a few things up for rent, but two of them were disgusting. So we settled on a 4 bedroom house that is way bigger than we need and is at the top of our rent budget, but it is really our only option. We first saw it a few weeks ago and signed the lease agreement last week, but yesterday I was feeling like I needed to see it again so I could get a better idea of where we'll put things. I forgot my camera, but we took down measurements (I forgot the measuring tape too, but we bought one) and Roy put together this floor plan.



I am a little overwhelmed with the amount of space! I know that we can't get enough furniture to make it the way I want it, because we'll probably only stay in this house for a year or two, and our next place is not likely to be as big. But here are some ideas I have for it:

-The kitchen is huge and has a nice little corner nook and I want to put one of those nook tables there. We'd probably eat most of our meals there. And then in the dining room we can put our current table, but with the leaves in it so that there's actually room for all of us! Then there is still room in the dining room for a computer desk or something.

-Front room 2 will be a playroom I think. I wanted to make front room 1 a playroom, but it has a better layout for the couch and tv. So I think front room 2 will have a futon couch and a few toys and maybe a table for school work.

-Front room 1 will have our couch and our entertainment center, and maybe a bookshelf. The window sill is awesome and we will put some cushions there for extra seating when we have company.

-Unfortunately the only shower is downstairs, so Roy and I will probably keep most of our clothes hanging in the laundry room. But fortunately the laundry room is nice and big and has shelves and hanging rods.

-The basement is icky and really scares me, but we'll be able to store a few things down there - like our camping equipment or something. Most of our other outdoor stuff we will probably store on the HUGE front porch. We will probably do most of our playing out front. There's a nice big tree that gives great shade, and maybe sometime we'll be able to get a porch swing. The back yard is nice too, but the front yard and front porch are just so HUGE.

-Upstairs, the first bedroom is pretty small, so that will be our spare room. We might just use it for storage or we might end up putting the computer and school work table up there. We haven't decided yet. The other bedrooms are nice and big and the master bedroom is bigger than we'll ever need. I'm giddy about the fact that we'll able to walk around our bed without bumping into things.

-The attic has lots of room for storage and isn't as creepy as the basement :)

-Oh, and upstairs the hallway goes all the way down past the bedroom doors and it's just this huge empty space - practically big enough for another bedroom! If we were buying this house I'd probably make it into a huge storage closet.

So, yeah, I'm totally excited. It's not a super nice house - it's pretty dingy and has a few structure problems, but it's totally great for renting for a year or two. And I think that after 8 years of married and move number 6, we've definitely earned ourselves a nice big house!! I can't wait to move in and get some pictures of the "finished" product!

Here's a picture of the outside - from Google Maps


View Larger Map

10 comments:

Katie said...

I'm so excited for you! Looks like a great house to just spread out in and let the kids roam around. Really makes me want to visit you ;o)

SewSara said...

Can't wait to see pictureS!!

Audra said...

It sounds so nice! I am excited for you! I can not wait to see the pictures! You will enjoy the extra space... just be careful... it can fill up quick. As we were reading this post I told Levi, "Oh, remember the days that we had the extra room :)?! It was so nice!" Not that I am complaining... I just love extra space!

lindsey said...

I like an extra room because then I can say one room is decently clean ;) are the kids still going to share or will rae get her own room? it will be nice for you to have your own space. I can't imagine going back to an apartment with kids now.

mom and grandma of BOLTON BUNCH said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mom and grandma of BOLTON BUNCH said...

It looks really awesome and huge. I think it will be fun for you. What kind of flooring? carpet or hard floors? And how does Isaac do with stairs? Well, if we wasn't too sure before, I'm sure he'll be a pro soon.

Ashley said...

Audra - I know, I'm worried that I'll become more of a pack rat. Right now I'm really good about not holding on to anything because we just don't have the space. But, also, it's been hard to store baby items that I know I'm gonna need again.

Lindsey - Rae will get her own room - she is so excited.

Pat - The whole house is wood floor except for Rae's bedroom and our bedroom. Even the stairs are wood, which will be scary the first few months we live there. Isaac can't go up stairs just fine, but hasn't figured out how to get down. And sometimes he just tries things whether he can do it or not, so I hope we don't get any serious injuries!

Grandma in the middle said...

The layout is good! It will be nice to have the room.

Olivia Carter said...

WOW! It looks huge! Man, the difference between living in a basement or a duplex to a house was a MAJOR nice change for us. Hooray for you!

Prof. Wright said...

Okay, here's what we do with the extra room: link.