Friday, June 18, 2010

Why I'm glad my firstborn is a girl

Sometimes Rae is a little smothering with her mothering instincts - but most of the time I'm glad I have someone around to help me out and keep an eye on the boys! Just now I realized things were a little too quiet (Rae was still asleep) and then I heard Blaise say "we are cutting the banana". I had been using a knife to slice some banana into my cereal and left it on the table. (I forgot that Isaac can now climb onto the chairs to reach things on the table - ergh!) Isaac retrieved the knife and banana and was helping himself to a snack. Instead of informing me that his little brother had a SHARP KNIFE, Blaise decided to get a knife of his own (just a plastic one) and help mush banana into the carpet. I'm so glad that no one got hurt. Most of the time Blaise is just totally oblivious to what Isaac is doing. Even at age 3 Rae was a mini-mommy and now at almost 6 I can trust her to keep an eye on the boys while I run into the house to do a quick chore, or I can close them up in the playroom while I shower. I know that some boys, especially firstborns, can be as attentive, but Rae has the desire and love of caring for others (and tattling!)

Oh, and don't worry, it's safe for me to be at the computer writing this, because Rae is awake now! :)

2 comments:

Olivia Carter said...

I didn't realize how great having a daughter first would be. Everyone said so but I didn't believe now I am so grateful. I'm sure having a boy first has a lot of good things too but with Syd and Rob it's good Syd was first.

Christie said...

LOL...unless the first daughter is Elizabeth.