Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The time has come....

It's been about 40 hours since I last nursed Blaise. I didn't want to wean him in a "cold turkey" sort of way, but that's just sorta how it happened. The plan was to start nursing him less during the day to see if we could night wean him. But once I started refusing to nurse him and saw how easy it was to distract him, I wanted to go all the way. Lately nursing has become a huge chore and not enjoyable. Blaise nursed ALL night long and ALL day long but never really seemed to be comforted by it. He's getting his molars, so he's just all around miserable and using me as a teething ring wasn't working for either one of us. The first night went okay. He had about a two hour stretch where he was fussy (first with Roy for an hour and then with me for the second hour) He didn't really seem that angry or distraught, just unsure of how to fall asleep without nursing. I finally brought him to bed with me and just held him and sang to him and he fell asleep. I don't mind him sleeping with us, I just mind him being attached to me (literally) all night.

Last night went even better. He slept from 7-12:30 and then Roy got up with him and changed his diaper and then I got up and helped him fall back asleep (in our bed again) This time it only took an hour and he slept soundly till 6-ish (when Rae started making a racket!). Today he's doing pretty well. I haven't really felt any regrets (except that I'm in so much pain from engorgement - one downside of cold turkey!). It feels right and it feels so free and positive. I would have liked to nurse him longer, and maybe even after he starts sleeping better I might start letting him nurse a couple of times a day if he seems like he needs it. His appetite is way up and he eats everything we put in front of him!

I wonder if it's something about January that makes me feel like I'm suddenly trapped and NEED TO WEAN. Rae was weaned about this same exact time 2 years ago. All the rain and being stuck inside is taking a toll on me. And with Roy out of town last week all I could offer Blaise was to nurse to sleep and it didn't work out very well. And since he's going out of town again next weekend (and probably a few more after that) I really needed to have that freedom from nursing. I don't know how my sister nurses so long...was it easier because your kids just nursed a few times a day or were you just more determined than me? :) I can handle the all night nursing - it's the all day nursing I can't handle.

Anyway, what a long and random post. Just thought I'd keep ya updated. Oh, and to my sisters - now I know what it feels like to have huge boobs like you guys! LOL - can't wait for the milk to dry up!

5 comments:

Christie said...

You crack me up! Amelia is driving me crazy with the all-night nursing. Well, and the all-day nursing. We're starting solids when we get back, but I doubt that will help. There are times I really wonder why I fought so hard to pump for 12 weeks and get her latched! But then I look at how healthy she has been and know it's worth it. I'll go until she's one year adjusted (14.5 months), but that'll probably be it, unless our nursing relationship changes a lot. With Elizabeth I got her down from constant to just naps, nights, and mornings while at my in laws (lots of distractions)but then had to wean for morning sickness medsjust a few weeks later (at 14.5 months, too!). The best thing about nursing is that it's my computer time!

Ashley said...

What cracks you up? The boob comment? Seriously, these things are HUGE!

Katie said...

I only nurse all long as it works for me - I am lucky that it worked for so long with both boys. Did you know I weaned Gabe in December? There was finally just one night when he was bugging me all night long (and he had already night weaned!) and when I woke up in the morning, I said, "THAT'S IT!" I was ready, and it was weird because I hadn't planned it at all, but it worked out really well. He only asked me to nurse once that day and got over it really quickly. I didn't get engorged at all because he was down to one nursing a day, so I was lucky I didn't get the huge rocks (just the huge saggy water balloons like normal). He will still occasionally get sad and ask for it, which is weird for me because Colin never did after I weaned him, and Gabe still likes to stick his hand down my shirt at night.

I would never have nursed them so much if I hadn't been a mean mommy and occasionally said no. I would have gone nuts. I night weaned them both because sleep is major for me. It is okay when they are newborns - I have all the patience in the world with newborns, but the patience starts wearing thin later on. Then I sometimes I just refused to nurse repeatedly during the day. It can really drive a woman crazy to whip it out yet again when you have already nursed them 5 times that day and you know they just need to go play or take a nap.

Anyway, glad to hear it is going well. Sometimes, especially when you know it is going to have to end someday anyway, it is just TIME.

Katie said...

I will update my blog when you update yours!!!!!!!!!

Audra said...

Callie was so distracted in Florida that she only nursed at night... I thought "HOORAY! this is it... she will wean"... well, we are now home and she is back in her old habits and wants to nurse more than ever. I would totally wean her if I could get the stinker to take a bottle, sippy, anything. I have a ton of different kids and she takes none of them well. I think I have to force the issue because I am so ready to wean her. I told her yesterday mommy was not going to give her mommy milk at that moment and she grabbed onto me, wailed, and kept trying to get in the nursing position. She is a stinker! She is used to nursing while I am on the computer, so maybe I should get my booty off the computer... it would probably help!