At the beginning of the month I signed Rae up for soccer. She has been so excited and asks on a daily basis when she starts. We bought shin pads, shoes and a soccer ball. Her first practice is tonight but it's raining. :( I really hope it will clear up and dry up in time, but it is very unlikely. It makes me so sad! Also, she has to miss her first game this weekend because we'll be out of town. She doesn't know that she'll be missing it though, so that makes it a little better. I'm really hoping that if practice gets canceled today they'll reschedule it for tomorrow.
When your kids are faced with disappointments like this do you feel like you have to make it up to them somehow? I know that they've gotta get used to things getting canceled and plans getting messed up. But I find myself saying things like "well, there's not going to be any soccer tonight because of the rain, so how about you and I go out for some ice cream." And Rae has been asking to go to Chuck E Cheese so I was thinking of taking her this weekend while we are out of town since she has to miss her game. (Even though she doesn't even KNOW she is missing a game!) I guess it is probably okay to do every once in a while but I probably do it too often, and I think Rae probably expects it sometimes. Hmmm, I think this may be a sign that I am feeling guilty for other slacking I've been doing and other times when I'm too busy to just play with the kids. What do you think? Do you do the same thing?
Update: It stopped raining and the sun came out! It's really really windy, but I'm thinking there will still be practice - yay!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I sometimes do things like that. We get coupons for chuch e. cheese and sometimes it can be really cheap! And I hate it when kids are dissapointed and I love to do special things with them every now and then.
Guess I don't share in the sadness. There have been plenty of times that I have prayed that something would get canceled.
My kids don't seem to get all that disappointed about stuff I guess. If it gets canceled it gets canceled. It doesn't seem to phase them.
Ashley, Chad and I are totally like that too. I don't think there is anything wrong it, BUT Colin has caught on. Now it is kinda of like he expects he to do something special if he is disappointed and doesn't appreciate it as much when we do. Like I said, I don't think there is anything wrong with it, especially if you really do it at "special" times and not too often. I also try to think of fun things we can do together that don't cost money for the times that aren't "as" special.
Post a Comment