
My pops always works so hard for his family and still finds time to be a great dad and grandpa! My mom has been here for a few days for Roy's graduation (oh yeah, I should post about that) but my dad wasn't able to come and we sure miss him!
Some of my favorite memories of my dad:
It always made me feel so good to know that he was such a good member of the church. He was in the bishopric most of my childhood, and having him on the stand being an example to everyone else always made me feel good. And it was comforting to know that he could give me priestood blessings when I needed them, and he often gave us "back to school" blessings.
He worked in the summer in the melon sheds (he was a HS teacher and with 8 kids we needed extra income in the summer) and he'd come home smelling like melons. Whenever I smell a cantaloupe I think of my dad!
He's supportive of decisions that I've made as an adult, but he also gives advice when he can see that it is needed.
If he lays down for more than 2 minutes he'll fall asleep....usually with the tv on. But if you try to take the remote control from him he'll wake up and say "hey, I'm awake".

And, my other favorite dad, the father of my kiddos! When Rae was born Roy wasn't quite sure what to do, but he was very willing to learn! He was even the one who changed her first poopy diaper! And now he's a diaper changing, getting kids baths and bed, kid chasing, wrestling dad that is so much fun!

By the time Blaise came along Roy had a pretty good idea of what he was doing, and he was much more willing to get Blaise down for naps and to sleep at night so that I wouldn't have to be a human pacifier. He makes Blaise's favorite food (oatmeal) better than I can and is quick to get him in the tub after he's smeared it all over his hair. Man oh man, I love this father and how much effort he puts into making our life happy!
Roy's dad hasn't really been part of his life but we've recently started talking to him and visited him last fall. We'll see him again in a few weeks and it's nice to know that he's there for us when we need him and is making an effort into trying to make up for lost years.
Roy's mom married a great guy a few years ago, and he's a fun grandpa and the kids really like him. When we got married I didn't have a father-in-law, so it's been fun to have this role filled!
Happy Father's Day to all the fathers out there!
2 comments:
dad sure is a great dad... you know i don't remember dad working in the sheds much but i've always loved the smell of cantelope and it always makes me think of him (and him putting salt on it) and that must be why. oh btw oatmeal is also one of lily's favorite meals. we do slow cooked steel cut oats (cuz thats the only kind i like) with raisins and whatever other fruit in it and she eats like a cup of it...
Hello! Of course I remember you guys. I don't remember your little boy though. When we left, were you pregnant about to deliver or had you delivered? I'm ashamed to admit I can't say. But that's all apart of the moving blur that you get to experience soon. Congratulations!
The mid-west is a world apart. Welcome to snow.
I've have lots of info for you that probably best done in an email. Things like, did you know the Butters? They live in Lincoln, NB and you'll most likely pass them if you drive. David wants to know what a visiting professorship is. And I'll tell you what I know about moving companies, and as the saying goes, that and fifty cents'll get you a cup of coffee (if inflation weren't a problem and you weren't Mormon).
Anyhow, shoot me an email at lisadavid.martin@gmail.com.
P.S. I loved, LOVED the la-la song. Are you guys still doing music makers?
Post a Comment