This was a busy week for us! Last Wednesday my in-laws and mom arrived. We went to the Farmer's Market that evening, where the kids got to ride the ponies (twice!).



Thursday morning we went bowling and then Roy's graduation was that afternoon. We left the kiddos with some great friends (thanks again!) and got to "enjoy" the super long ordeal! Boring! But it was great to see Roy get hooded and all that stuff. And it got done earlier than expected, so that was nice.
Friday was our 6-year anniversary. We went to Vacaville, did a little shopping and went to Olive Garden for lunch. Not exactly a romantic night-out, but the inlaws picked up the tab, so that was nice! :) Then we went to the pool and had a lot of fun there.
Saturday morning we went to Ikea to pick up some things that you can only get at Ikea, which they don't have in Missouri! Then the in-laws left and we just lounged around the rest of the day. Sunday we were all sick (except for my mom, lucky!) so we stayed home from church and Roy didn't get much of a special day, but he's great and totally didn't care. Yesterday and today we've been trying to get a bit of packing done while we have an extra adult around (who just happens to be great at packing and cleaning - she even pulled out the stove and cleaned behind it- so awesome!) Tomorrow my mom leaves in the morning and I'm taking the day off from packing and just hanging out with the kiddos and trying to get completely better from my cold.
Oh, and if anyone has advice about moving companies, let me know! We're considering using ABF U-Pack. Oh, and did I mention that we found somewhere to live? We found a great 3 bedroom,1 bath duplex (well, 8-plex) for $550 a month. The price is a little above average for the area, but it's a really nice, new property that a couple of members of the church live in (I called someone there and she told me all about it) and it has a washer and dryer included and I really like the layout. And, everything for rent was filling up really fast and we had to just grab whatever we could get. And, this is one of the only properties that could let us in July instead of the 2nd week of August.
4 comments:
Aaron and I are either going to do uhaul or penske. Penske was a little cheaper but were trying to find out if they are diesel or gas because the price of diesel is horrible right now! Uhaul is good except they charge you 69 cents per mile so I hope Aaron and I don't get lost again or have to take a detour for road construction. Penske is unlimited mileage. But then again you guys do have two kids and its just Aaron and I so we don't need a huge truck but you could check out the rates to see what you think.
Jamie...we did Penske and were happy with it. It was gas.
Yup, Penske was great. We also had unlimited miles, if I remember correctly. And they were one of the few places that would let us drop off the truck at someplace other than where we originally rented it.
Just be careful if you get a car trailer. The place I got it from said they weren't allowed to hook it up for me. Somehow during the hook-up and loading my car onto the trailer by myself (they were very put out to act as a ground guide... excuuuuuuuuuuuuse me for asking! Heaven forbid I don't want to miss the ramps and drop my car off in a very bad way!) I must have bumped the brake lever, so I ended up dragging a trailer with locked brakes about 50 miles, which of course got them hot and started a grass fire at our house when we stopped. The damage insurance was good to have, as they brought us a new trailer all the way up from Houston without any extra charge.
Moral of the story:
1. Get the damage insurance
2. You're probably better off not using a car trailer unless you have more than one car, thus making it necessary.
3. Bring someone with you when you get the truck, so you can have a second set of eyes check things.
Aaron decided to go with Penske. I will just follow him in the car. He didn't feel comfortable taking the trailer and he probably really won't after hearing your story James :) Oh and he did mention he was getting insurance.
Post a Comment