Sunday, October 21, 2007

Counting blessings

Now I'm a little more sick. I've got a bit of the stomach bug that the kids and Roy had. Nothing too bad though. But as I headed for the bathroom I thought to myself "are you kidding me, what else is going to go wrong around here!?". I went to pick up the prescription for the kids and there were problems with their insurance, so no medicine yet. I have to call the insurance in the morning and figure out what the problem is. But they are both acting happy and "un-sick", so I'm not too worried about it. Maybe this way is better, because maybe they can actually be seen by a doctor before starting the antibiotics.

Anyway, I started feeling like I was complaining too much. Things really aren't that bad around here. The house was a wreck today, but I was able to get it all cleaned up while Roy bathed the kids. Now there's just one more (huge) load of dishes to be done and things will be pretty much back to normal. And it is hard to keep the kids away from other kids, but we can go for walks and I have a couple of "rainy day" projects tucked away that we can do tomorrow. And I am definitely grateful for all the great stuff we have to do when the kids aren't sick. And I'm grateful that Roy has a pretty flexible schedule (ahh! what am I going to do when he's not a student anymore?) and can help out so much. I'm very blessed and actually have it pretty easy compared to a lot of people.

I don't know if any of you have heard some of the criticism going around about Sister Beck's talks from the General RS Broadcast and then from General Conference. If you hadn't heard any of it, sorry I brought it up. But I had, and was pretty bothered by it all. Well, I finally got a chance tonight to sit down and listen/read to both talks, and I found them really humbling and inspiring. I really, really enjoyed them and have this renewed energy and confidence in my capabilities and I just want to do better and really be the best that I can be. I really felt the spirit and really needed to hear those words tonight.

And now I am going to go to bed. Ahhhh, being in bed by 8:30 is delightful. Goodnight.

4 comments:

Katie said...

Ashley,

I had only heard positive things about her talk in General Conference....BUT the only people I have talked to about it are family members. Audra and I were talking about how we aren't quite there yet with the whole "mothers who know" thing but how it's something to aspire to. We both found it inspiring. I was actually putting Gabe down for a nap during the "live" version (and I fell asleep myself), so when I came downstairs, Chad told me about it and I watched it later.

~Katie

Andrea said...

I LOVED Sr. Beck's talks and found them totally motivating. It was quite refreshing to have someone say that we should be better and stop coddling us and say that we're just soooo overworked. Puuuullleeeeaaasee! I know I can certainly improve in faith family and relief!!! Anyway, I thought some (wimpy) people may feel burdened by that talk, but if you have any sense at all, you just have to do your best and that should be good enough.

Olivia Carter said...

Hey lady, hope you feel better- Dang stomach flu! Hope you feel better soon.

Pao said...

I'm agree with Andrea , I really like Sister's Beck talk was very inspiring.Sometimes we have to forget about ourselves and look around us and see who needs our help, it's not always me me me ...Changing the subject, I wish I would of help you when you need it,and I'm so glad that you are feeling much better..and the kids as well.Lucky you to have your hubby help you around :)