What's new? I went to the dentist today. It had been almost 6 years since my last visit...yikes, huh? But I didn't have any cavities! Seriously, don't even bother brushing, because cavities are a fluke that happen to some people and not others. :) I'm the world's biggest candy junkie and I usually only brush my teeth once a day (but don't be grossed out when you see me next time, because I'm starting to brush them twice a day!!) I do need to work on flossing though, because my gums are pretty sensitive and the dentist said I need to be careful or I'll get a gum disease.
She also said I need to get my wisdom teeth removed. I've been trying to read about this a bit because I'm not entirely sure that I do. I mean, I'm going to get a second opinion and find out why they really need removed. The dentist I went to didn't give me a reason. I didn't exactly ask for one (my mind hadn't fully wrapped itself around the whole idea until later in the day) but I thought that if there was some specific reason, she would have told me. They made me an appt with the oral surgeon for two weeks from now and I'm most likely going to cancel it. For one, I don't have time to go to the dentist again. Two, Roy doesn't have time to take care of me. Three, that doesn't give me enough time to see another dentist beforehand. My friend said that one dentist told her she needed them removed and that she need 9 fillings, and then she went to her childhood dentist and he said that wasn't true. That happened to another friend of mine too. What's the deal with that? I wish I could go to MY childhood dentist - he was the best!
One problem is that I want to get pregnant sometime soon, so what if during my pregnancy my wisdom teeth suddenly start acting up? Do you think there is a good chance of that happening? They've been in for several years, so what are the chances of them acting up now? Ugh, all the questions I should have asked the dentist!! I am the worst about not asking enough questions.
I didn't mean for this entire post to be about my wisdom teeth! Any advice/criticism is welcome!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
You lucky son-of-a-gun! I have been cursed with the worst dental history almost ever. I didn't have any cavities at my last appointment which was an all around shock.
I had to get my wisdom teeth out on time. My parents sent me to Algodones, Mexico to have them removed. I'm lucky to be alive today... so good luck with all that.
We keep saying we need to go. It's been 4 years for me...yikes! It's just so hard to find time, especially when you have to travel to the dentist and I just know Amelia will scream the entire time for James.
I got 2 of my wisdom teeth out in high schol when they came in. They were cutting into the side of my mouth and it was instant relief when they were pulled. The other 2(on bottom) came in just fine and I still have them...no problem.
Aaron and I just went to the dentist a couple weeks ago. He has not gone since before his mission and I havn't been there for a year and a half. Aaron has four cavities and I have two. Aaron's wisdom teeth are already taken care of but the dentist said mine were ready. Luckily I only have two. They were going to schedule me to have it done but I just didn't feel right about having this dentist pull my wisdom teeth. Aaron and I didn't particulary like him and he really tortured us with that little pick and then kept trying to sell us his "whitening for life" kits or whatever they are. Nothing annoys me more than a doctor who trys to play salesman.
Anyways I talked to my mom and she told me I would need to go to an oral surgeon. Considering all of the jaw and facial surgeries I have had she said I would need someone who would be familiar with this. I guess when I would have any oral suregeries as a kid they had to give me some heavy anitbiotics a couple days before to prevent any infection from spreading in my shunts. My family used to live in Utah before Blythe and there was an oral suregeon my mom took my brother to for his wisdom teeth in Salt Lake. She said he also did a little work on my teeth when I was little. I looked him up and he is still practicing so I plan to make an appointment with him. I have to wait though because we just found out with our dental plan that there is a one year waiting period for covering anything major. So I won't get mine pulled until probably about May. But who knows, he may take my x-rays and say they aren't ready. I don't blame you for going and getting a second opinion especially if you have all of these questions and especially when the doctor did not even give you a real good reason as to why. Sorry this comment is so long, I guess because I havn't really blogged for a while
Are your teeth bothering you? I'd look into it if I were you.
well my wisdom teeth are coming in and sometimes they hurt and sometimes they don't... so i say have somebody come take care of the kiddos and get it done before you are prego... just in case something happens in the pregnancy.. but i guess id want a second opinion too
My mom never got hers out. Well, something that can happen if you never get them out is their roots get larger and more established and if you have problems later it can be a heck of a thing to get pulled. I actually remember when my mom had to get hers done. If I remember correctly I think they were bothering her really bad and when they went to remove them the root had grown down low and was wrapped around a nerve, so they had to be really careful removing it because if they hit the nerve it would paralize part of her face. Basically that is why they want them removed before your mission and I just got my automatically removed when I was a teenager and they started to come in. The longer you wait, the more painful it is to have them removed. But then again you may not ever need the removed, but chances are sometime you will. I think my grandpa even had to have one removed recently.
I had mine removed and the next day a guy I knew called and asked me out on a date for only a few days after. My jaw was so swollen, but I was not going to say no! So I put lots of frozen peas on my face trying to get the swelling down. He was 16 and I was 17.5 going away to college in a month. I was his first date... awwww!
Ok, I digress... anyway, if your insurence will cover it, I say got for it now before you get older and end up having kids old enough to remember holding your wisdom teeth in a little box when you come back from the proceedure and not seeing you for days because they roots grew so deep it was very painful to have them removed!
But that is just my opinion ;)!
My dad still has his wisdom teeth and he's fine. He has healthy teeth though. I didn't have any wisdom teeth. They just didn't exist. I was also missing my bottom back two molars. They didn't exist either. Weird, I know. So they had to pull my top two back molars because they just kept growing (do teeth keep growing?). They were longer than all my other molars because they didn't have anything to grind against. How many wisdom teeth do you have? All four? Do you have enough space in your mouth for them? Some dentists/doctors just do stuff because it is so routine to them that alternative solutions don't even come to their minds. That bothers me a little bit. Anyway, good luck. You inspired me to make an appointment. Our dental insurance kicks in tomorrow!! Yippee!
wisdom teeth can make straight teeth crooked! Leah and Lyric both got theirs out because it was going to totally mess up their bite.
Post a Comment