Tuesday, July 15, 2008

We're almost done!

So our whole moving ordeal is halfway over. :) Our apartment was cleaned quickly on Saturday morning thanks to a lot of help from friends from church (thanks again everyone!) and we turned in our keys around 1:30 in the afternoon. We stopped at a couple of friend's houses to say goodbye and then headed to the hotel.

**As a side note, at the last minute we realized it probably wasn't a good idea to put all of our important CDs in the trailer since it was going to sit in the heat for a couple of weeks, so we put them all in our van. Well, I hadn't counted on that much stuff and I spent Saturday morning competely stressed out trying to get everything to fit into our van. Eventually it all fit, but not very well and now we have a lot of stuff that we have to store at my sister's house while we are here. And I didn't have things as organized as I would have liked, so there are a few boxes with just completely random stuff - ugh, stuff like that really bothers me. **

The hotel was nice and the kids enjoyed swimming at the pool. Roy and the kids went to bed around 8, but I took myself shopping because I felt like I needed to do something besides moving stuff! I didn't get home till 9 or so and then I couldn't get to sleep till 10. We got up at 3 and the kids were surprisingly well behaved and reasonably happy. We made it to the airpot and checked in without any problem.

We were getting ready to board (going potty, changing diapers) when I realized that I did not have a SINGLE diaper! Oh my heck - I am never this disorganized or forgetful! So I just started saying a lot of prayers and looking for moms with a kid Blaise's size. No luck. So I got on the plane and hoped for the best. Rae had a window seat and I had the center seat with Blaise on my lap and a nice man sat next to us and before the flight started he noticed that there was an empty seat in the back so he moved there so that I could have more space (probably did it more for his sake than mine!) The extra room was a huge help! The kids were really good. Blaise pooped halfway through the flight and I asked one of the attendants if there happened to be any diapers on board. He checked really throughly for me, which I appreciated, but there weren't any. So I changed Blaise's diaper and lined his onesie with paper towels and just hoped for the best.

Our plane landed in Denver and we had about an hour before our next flight. So we walked around checking every gift shop for diapers and stalking mothers with young children. I even tried to get Blaise to pee on the potty! He peed in his paper towels so I changed him immediately but it had already soaked through to his onesie, so I had to take that off. I put a pantyliner into his shorts and once again hoped for the best. We were just about to board the plane when I saw a mom with a boy Blaise's age so I went up to her and asked if I could buy a diaper off of her. She was super nice and gave me one (no charge) and I quickly put Blaise on the floor and diapered him right there in the middle of the airport! Whew!

The man who sat next to us on the second flight was really nice too. Blaise fell asleep right after we took off and slept for about an hour and a half. Rae was really good. We bought a "mini-meal" snack box in the middle of the flight and the man next to us bought us an extra one for Blaise to have when he woke up. And he also gave Rae his applesauce from his box. Rae had to pee during this flight and she is terrified of the airplane bathroom, so I had to promise that I wouldn't flush the toliet while she was in there, and I had to threaten that we wouldn't go to Colin's house if she didn't go. Luckily that worked. Blaise pooped a few minutes before landing, luckily not any sooner! Chad was waiting for us at the baggage area and everything else went great!

We were so glad to get settled into Katie (my sister) and Chad's house and since the kids woke up at 3am Pacific time they were already ready for Eastern time and they went to bed around 8 without any problems. Yay! Everyone (my brothers and their families) came over for dinner and we had a lot of fun.

Yesterday we just hung around the house and then went to dinner at my brother Bobby's house. Afterwards we went to the airport to watch planes. All of the kids like that a lot. But we got home too late and got to bed way too late. And the kids didn't sleep in to make up for it.

The best thing about today was that Roy got here early! His trip went really well and since he didn't have anything to do but drive he just kept driving and driving. We weren't expecting him till late tonight, but he got here around 11 this morning. Woohoo! He and Blaise are napping now and then we are going to go swimming. My oldest sister arrives tomorrow afternoon with her husband two little girls and then my parents and little brother arrive early Thursday morning and my other younger brother and his wife arrive late Thursday night. And then my little sister and her little girl and husband get here Saturday and then the family reunion officially begins! It's going to be super crazy and super fun, I'm just glad I get a few days of peace beforehand to prepare and get to stay a few days afterwards to recover!

Oh, and I've been tracking our ABF trailer and it's already in Missouri and is ready to be stored till we are ready for it. That was fast! Hopefully they will get it to us really quickly when we are ready for it. I'm anxious to be finished with this move, but I'm glad I have a break in between to catch up on some sleep and tv. :)

BTW, this blog has turned into more of a journal for me so that's why there are so many random, un-important details that most of you are probably not interested in. I like to write these kinds of things down and if I don't do it within a week of it happening then I never will. So, I'll still try to write other stuff and post pictures more often, but there will be a lot of these long, boring posts with way too many details! I hope you are still willing to read it!

3 comments:

Pao said...

I'm glad that you made it safe as well as Roy, sorry about the diaper history.After my 3rd kid I totally don't carry diapers anymore , not because i don't want to , it's because I forget :).
Anyways, Thank you for updating.It's sad that you are not here anymore but this is a supernice way to keep in touch! We miss you!
Paola

me said...

I'm glad your trip went well.

I'm impressed that you would even think of going back to an airport just to watch the planes.

--Rachel

Andrea said...

I totally felt for you as I was reading the diaper experience. I'm impressed with your creativity. I do not ever want to be stuck in that situation. I'm glad it seems to be going well. Good luck with all the adjustments. It takes a while. I'm still adjusting, and will then have to readjust again.