Thursday, July 03, 2008

One week later

My wisdom teeth were removed one week ago (in case you missed the post). One week later and I'm FINALLY feeling normal again! Apparently the surgeon left behind some tooth! I noticed on Sunday or Monday and it just felt like a wiggly tooth like when you were younger and would wiggle your tooth with your tongue. But I wasn't quite sure if it was tooth material or just some skin that was supposed to be there. So I wasn't sure if I should mess with it. Tuesday night it was really driving me crazy and last night it started bugging me a lot and I decided to try to wiggle it a little everyday and see if it would come out. Well, this morning I was getting up with Blaise (at the crack of dawn) and it just fell out! I caught it and put it in a little zip lock bag and I'm going to take it to my follow-up appointment on Saturday. After that fell out the pain in my mouth reduced drastically! Seriously, last night I still couldn't open my mouth wide enough to eat normally and this morning I can open my mouth all the way with hardly any discomfort. I am so happy and relieved. I can't believe how much tooth was left in there - crazy!

In other news, we finally settled on a moving company and actually have our truck reserved. Whew. We are going with ABF U-Pack. They drop an empty 28ft trailer off at your house and you fill it with how ever much space you need (we have 10ft listed in our quote) and then they pick it up the next day. They fill the rest of the truck with freight material. They are going to store it for us (big chunk of money for them to do that for us, but we don't have a choice) and then deliver it to our house in Kirksville. This is what I wanted to do from the very beginning but I didn't think I could fit a 28ft trailer into the parking lot here. Well, the other day a neighbor was moving in and they did it with ABF, so I now know it can be done. And I got in contact with the City Manager in Kirksville and got permission to park it on the street in front of our new place. So glad that is all taken care of!

The other hold-up we had with deciding how to move our stuff was that we didn't have an answer from our landlord about when we could move in. Our lease says the 29th but he said that we might be able to get in earlier than that because the people living there now were thinking about leaving early. Well, apparently their plans changed, so we have to stick with the original date of the 29th. Which means we get to hangout with family in Charlotte for extra long and try to be good guests. Unfortunately it also means that we had to pay ABF 500 bucks to store our stuff. Oh well, moving sucks and it's so expensive and there's not much you can do about it. The other option was Roy driving a uhaul and towing our van behind it, getting to Kirksville, unloading our stuff into a storage unit, drop off the uhaul, and then drive to Charlotte for the reunion. It would been a little bit cheaper, but a lot more hassle and effort and stress, all of which I decided are worth a few hundred dollars to eliminate.

Anyway, I'm sure you all were dying to hear all of those details. :) Packing is going pretty good here. Roy takes the kids out in the morning and I get a ton done while he is gone. I realized that although I like making lists of what needs done, I work a lot better if I can just randomly walk around the house and pack whatever it is that I feel like packing and can work on several projects at once. Like, if I'm in the middle of packing their stuffed animals and find a puzzle piece, it's okay to drop everything and start packing the puzzles. I can do anything in whatever order I want, just as long as it's all done and organized before the kids get home. I've known this about me before with things like cleaning. (I'll often be cleaning the kitchen and stop to use the bathroom and then start cleaning the bathroom) Maybe that's why I don't clean very well with other people around. Hmmm.

Okay, time to get packing. We are having a late start this morning!

9 comments:

Jo Lynn said...

I'm so sorry about your experience with getting your wisdom teeth out! It shouldn't be that bad, but I'm glad the piece of tooth fell out. I'm glad your feeling better and let me know if you need any help packing!

Christie said...

What a hassle! I am not looking forward to the next move. We filled the second to the largest Penske before we even had kids...of course we had a house fire since then, but then people gave us more furniture than we had before!

Katie said...

Uh yeah, nice one with the tooth dentist. Glad it is starting to feel better.

As you can probably imagine I am like the worst packer in the world. Last move I was really determined to be organized so I dragged a whole bunch of stuff from the garage to the living room and was getting it all in right boxes and labelling everything, and in the midst of it our realtor called and said she wanted to show someone our house. So it all got thrown as quickly as possible back into the garage so I could re-scrub my house, and that move just went ahead in the same ol' unorganized Katie fashion.

I will never forget the move to Charlotte where GE paid to have everything packed for us. Ahh, a distant dream that will probably never happen again.

Aaron said...

Good luck with the packing. Aaron and I have already packed up some stuff as well. Aaron had talked about getting one of those storage units ourselves but the parking lot at our new apartment does not look very big and I am a little worried about when they drop it off in Provo because these streets are narrow. But we figured since we don't have to drive that far it would be better just to rent a truck. We are going with Penske. Hope everything goes well. This is Jamie btw.

Jennifer said...

That totally sucks about your tooth and having to spend the extra $500 on moving, but I am still so totally stuck on spaghetti eggs; it's all I can think about.

Mmm... spaghetti eggs...

And your house was always well-stocked with Pop-Ice®. And Top Ramen. Oh, and grilled cheese sandwiches with tomato soup that never tasted better than when your mom made it for us at lunchtime.

Ashley said...

Jennifer, come visit me in Missouri and I'll make some spaghetti eggs and Roy will make you a grilled cheese sandwich. He seriously makes THE BEST grilled cheese sandwiches. Oh my heck, so good!

Katie, I don't know if I'm a good packer. Sometimes I feel like it's going well and is organized, but most of the time I just feel like there's no room to put anything and I keep discovering things tucked away in closets that should have gone in that box that I just taped up! Argh!

Linda, Mom and Granny said...

No one is a good packer...OK, I'm sure Nana is a great packer. There's something about moving... it is so crazy and hard. The longer you pack, the worse it get!

mom and grandma of BOLTON BUNCH said...

I hate to say it Ashley but I think packing is so much easier than unpacking. I like packing and organizing as I go, I tend to throw away alot that way. But, unpacking, the pits. I always feel like it will never all get put away. But, seriously, the hardest part about packing is that you still have to live there for awhile, so everything cannot be packed. I do not envy you at all. And to have a sore mouth on top of that! Hang in there! Love ya

Ashley said...

Pat, I don't mind unpacking if there is room for all my stuff (which was only the case in our first apartment) and if the kids are out of the house. It feels like I'm accomplishing a lot and getting stuff organized the way I want it.