Saturday, September 13, 2008

New pet!

We've been talking for a while about getting a pet for Rae. We were considering a frog but they are pretty boring. We thought some easy fish, but those are boring too. We went to Columbia yesterday and hit up Petco. The first animal we wanted to consider was a ferret! Turns out they cost like 130 bucks and their cages cost another 130! And they are a lot more maintenance than I'm ready for right now. But Roy has always wanted a ferret, so it's something we'll consider in the future.

We spent SO long at Petco trying to decide. The kids were super hyper from chocolate shakes and it was after 7, so they were fighting off sleepiness too. We looked at frogs, fish, hamsters, mice, etc,etc and finally decided on a guinea pig! Well, we decided that if we were going to get a pet we would get a guinea pig, but we hadn't decided whether we were ready for the start-up cost involved. But we decided just about every pet is going to involve some start-up cost, so if we wanted a pet we might as well do it now. The kids are at a good age for a new pet and life is pretty calm and easy right now. And guinea pigs are supposed to be super friendly and easy to take care of.

So, introducing....Violette: (named after the building where Roy works, and purple!)




Not very good pictures, but she's pretty scared and timid right now, so it's gonna take some getting used to before she comes out for a photo-shoot :) She's only a few weeks old. Last night she let me hold her quite a bit, but this morning she's super jumpy and doesn't want anything to do with me. We'll give her some alone time in a while when we go to the store, so hopefully she'll be able to relax a bit.

Anyway, pretty big excitement in the Wright home! Guinea pigs can live like 4-8 years, so this may be a really long commitment. I'm already worried about finding someone to watch her during Christmas break, but as long as I start looking early I'm sure I'll be able to find someone.

11 comments:

Christie said...

Violette Swearingen was Grandpa's grandmother's sister. I recently found out she lived in the El Centro area and is buried in Imperial.
Violette had a twin sister, Viola, who died at age 19 back when the family lived in Anderson, Indiana. I tried to find her grave, but it was raining like crazy that day; that night one of the few times I ended up in a motel.
Congratulations on your pet! There was the cutest little kitten at story time on Wed. Made me glad pets aren't allowed here. Not ready for that!

Ashley said...

Oh no, we were trying to avoid using a family name! :) Didn't want to offend anyone. :)

We are definitely not ready for a cat, but would like to have one someday (if we don't get a ferret) I already told Roy that I'll feed Violette but he's in charge of the cage cleaning! He used to have a ton of mice, so he's good at that kind of stuff. I called our landlord before heading to Columbia to make sure we could have a caged animal.

lindsey said...

I'm so jealous. I really wanted a pet .. i almost got one but mom convinced me i couldnt... sigh soon we will be more stable and i can get one.. we wanted a dog but after our experience in mesa i'm not so sure anymore. congrats though. have fun

Bob, Dad and Grandpa said...

I hope you have better luck with furry little animals than we did.

Ashley said...

It's a good thing you didn't get one Lindsey - moving with pets isn't the best idea, I'm already wondering what we are going to do if/when we move in June or July. But I'm sick of the whole "we might only be here for one year" and I wanted to do something that made me feel like we were stable!

Dad - we won't have a CAT with our furry little animal! And we will NOT be having baby guinea pigs!

Katie said...

You are a better and braver mommy than me. How fun for Rae!

Bob, Dad and Grandpa said...

Eliza said to bring her when you come to visit in December.

Cheney Family said...

Congrats! For us pets are very addicting lol. We started with one and now have 6, so be careful!! ;)

Jo Lynn said...

How sweet, I'm sure your kids are loving the cute little animal. We keep telling ourselves that one day will have a house with a fence and then we can get a dog...

Jennifer said...

Remember when we had that project to do in middle school, and Clementine was in love with your hamsters, and she'd always scurryscurryscurry over to the closet where you guys kept them, and then one day they weren't there anymore, and you told her that the mother hamster ate the baby hamsters (or some equally horrific story like that), and poor Clementine was just HEARTBROKEN? *sigh* I remember that.

Aida said...

I think pets are great for kids!. Very cool. I'll look forward to seeing more pictures sometime in the future.