Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Misc.

I bought a weather radio yesterday. Monday morning the weather sirens went off. They aren't meant to be heard indoors, but I was up nursing Isaac and happened to hear them. I got up and checked on the computer to see what was going on. The sirens were just to warn about flooding, but it made me realize that if there was a tornado warning in the middle of the night I probably wouldn't know. So, $30 later I now have peace of mind.

Speaking of tornadoes....when I was in the hospital during the tornado there was a woman there in labor. She was in the very early stages, so it wasn't too big of a deal. When they heard what part of town the tornado went through, they were really worried about their house because it was right next door to the car dealership that got hit. Well, I saw her husband at Walmart yesterday and asked how things went. He said they ended up going home that night because her labor stopped and she didn't have the baby till a couple of days later. I asked if their house was okay and he said that it got destroyed. Oh my heck - how hard would that be to have a newborn and no house?! I was talking to him in the baby aisle, where he was looking at baby swings because the one they had got ruined. A lot of their baby stuff was actually fine but it was covered with fiberglass, so they had to get rid of most of it. I've been whining about my recovery and how hard it is to have a newborn, but I'm so glad I'm not in their situation!! It is really sad because a lot of the houses/duplexes that got ruined were young student families - already struggling!

We've been having thunderstorms every other day or so and when it's not raining it's been really nice weather. I know that July will be super hot, so I'm enjoying this beautiful June!

2 comments:

Audra said...

That is heartbreaking!! Truly heart breaking!

Christie said...

Yeah, I kinda know what it's like! I hope as many people help them as helped us.