Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Those kids of mine....


My kids are pretty non-mischievous. I have only found things in the toilet one or two times. There have only been a few cases of coloring on the wall (and nothing permanent). They have never played with the contents of their diaper. For one thing, I'm pretty controlling and obsessive, so I almost always know exactly what they are doing and they don't get a lot of opportunities. Also, we've always lived in close quarters, so I can pretty much see the entire house from my spot at the computer. :) And for another thing, I think they are just pretty laid-back kids who aren't looking for trouble. I hope that is the case, because yesterday Blaise got into some trouble and it was pretty stressful and kept me up late with "what-ifs".

We spent a good part of the afternoon outside on a sleeping bag just hanging out, enjoying the sunshine. After a while we invited my neighbor out with her baby to enjoy the warmth. While she and I were talking the kids decided to mess around inside. Rae thought it'd be funny to lock the door. That's fine, because she knows how to UNLOCK it (it's pretty stiff and hard to unlock) She came back outside and Blaise decided to lock the door. Yikes. He does not know how to unlock the door, and quickly realized this and got really upset. I tried for a minute to get him to unlock it but knew it just wasn't going to happen.

But of all days for this to happen - today was the perfect day. My neighbor was right there and I could use her phone. Roy had taken the car to work AND there were no students yesterday, so he didn't have classes or office hours. I called him and told him to hurry home and unlock the door. He was home within 10 minutes. Meanwhile Blaise was pretty unhappy in the house, but Rae and I just talked to him through the window and told him that daddy was coming with the keys. At one point Blaise got my keys out of my purse and brought them to the window and said "mommy, here are your keys, open the door!". It was so cute and pathetic and funny! It was stressful but it was all over pretty quickly and Blaise was fine after we opened the door. And Rae and Blaise both seemed to learn their lesson. I hope so, because....

...On any other day things would not have gone so easily. Roy does not usually have a car. Sometimes he does have a car, but is in class most of the day. Sometimes I'm the only one in my neighborhood home and wouldn't have access to a phone. Would I send someone to Roy's office to get the house key? How quickly would my landlord or a locksmith be able to get there? How long would Blaise sit at the window crying and how long until he'd become hysterical? All of these questions ran through my head last night, and as I asked Roy each one he just said "you'll just have to make sure it doesn't happen again so you don't find out". And he's right. I'll never let them play around in the house like that again. And while I'm at it, I'll probably be even more obsessive about everything else around here too. Heaven forbid we ever move to a two-story house - I'll never be able to relax!! (oh, and in the picture at the top they are sledding - cute huh?)

4 comments:

lindsey said...

that is a cute picture and a really funny story. the pic is really cute... side note, lily is sitting in my lap and pointed to your pic and said "ash" guess she remembers you.

Linda, Mom and Granny said...

Hide a key

Ashley said...

Yeah, I was considering doing that. We just have the two keys, but Roy hardly ever needs his, so I might just put his in a hiding spot.

Christie said...

Make a third key and hide that.