Saturday, April 11, 2009

What can I say...I'm a Jeppson

On our trip to Michigan I did most of the driving and I had a lot of diet dr.pepper and sunflower seeds to keep me awake. By the end of the trip I smelled like my dad! (they were ranch flavored ones) He can't go anywhere without eating sunflower seeds. And now the floor of my van is messy with shells. (Not as messy as his car though!) Anyway, I still have a few left in the bag and I find myself eating them on short errands. They are so yummy and addicting! When I went to pick Roy up from school the other day I was eating some and he said "why the heck are you eating those? You won't be hungry for dinner." Silly Roy, sunflower seeds don't fill you up - they just make you thirsty! He just doesn't understand the appeal of sunflower seeds. Anyway, every time I get in my car and smell the sunflower seeds I think of my dad and our long long trips to Utah and Colorado. Oh, and we'd stop and get a few sodas from AMPM (gas station) and there was always a "special" one for my dad that the rest of us weren't allowed to drink! Yum, long trips are a perfect excuse for diet dr.pepper :)

Oh, did I mention that I got pulled over on our trip? It was about 2 hours away from Saginaw, at about 1 in the morning. I was the only car on the road (there were a few trucks) and I was going 75 in a 70 zone. I saw the cop parked in the dark on the side of the road, but it was too late. He said he got me going 80, but I know I was going 75 because I had my cruise control set. I couldn't find my registration and I was sooooo nervous! He asked where we were going and why and how long we had been driving. I think he felt sorry for us since Roy had an interview in the morning, so he let me off with a warning. Whew! I've never been pulled over before. Roy has been pulled over 3 times since we left California, so we decided that speeding isn't a very good idea in this part of the country! We used to speed the whole way to Blythe from Davis and there'd always be cars zooming past us and we never got pulled over. On our trip home we had the cruise control set at the speed limit the entire time - we aren't taking any more chances!

Anyway, I just felt like being kind of random today. Oh, and speaking of Michigan - he didn't get the job there. I'm glad the whole family went and had the chance to see the area, since we probably won't ever go back. There's still one more option before we decide for sure whether we are staying here for another year. But the other option is kind of a secret, so I'll let you know when we know!

Up next: Easter pictures and festivities!

Oh, and I had to throw this picture in just for the heck of it. It may be the cutest thing I've ever seen!

6 comments:

Bob, Dad and Grandpa said...

Our family is still alive because of sunflower seeds. I have two vehicles I need to clean out tonight because they are littered with shells. I have a new favorite brand. Sptiz Dill Pickle flavored seeds. They are wonderful.

My last 4 times being pulled over have resulted in warnings. In my first 25 years of driving I never got a warning. Tickets every time.

I hope your last option works out.

Christie said...

Sunflower seeds are wonderful, especially while driving. James doesn't really get them, either. Sorry about not getting the job in Michigan, but glad you got to go there and see everything. Good luck on the secret job!

Gehmlich's said...

Fun to read! Totally cute picture. I'm wanting some sunflower seeds right now, but I don't think I could do Spitz Dill Pickle flavored ones. That's messed up.

mom and grandma of BOLTON BUNCH said...

I never understood the sunflower seeds thing either but I have 2 bus drivers that say they couldn't take the sports trips (late night)without them. The other drivers hate to get a bus after one of these two because no matter how much they think they have swept the bus, there are always seeds still there!

mom and grandma of BOLTON BUNCH said...

BTW- yes, that butt shot is a keeper. Rae will be totally mortiifed someday even though it probably won't phase Blaise.

The Bailey Family said...

That's so funny! Once a Jeppson, always a Jeppson. Love the picture-- cute cheeks!