Roy's interview was on Thursday, so the kids and I just hung out and shopped and swam in our hotel pool. It was a nice, relaxing day.

We went to Chuck E. Cheese's for lunch. Man, their pizza is horrible!

Rae got lost in the tunnels. She kept coming to this spot and looking out the window to figure out how to get out. It was so sad but so funny! I had to send a little boy up there to help her!
Friday we got up and headed to Frankenmuth for the day. Did you click on the link? Do it. Frankenmuth is a little tourist town with Bavarian-themed shops and restaurants. Roy grew up going there a lot. It was so fun! There were tons of candy shops and fudge shops (man, you could smell the fudge from the street!) and toy shops. It was like being in Germany again! I got a couple of yummy German pretzels. Then we headed over to Bronner's Christmas Store. It's the world's largest Christmas store. (Roy went there when he was a kid) The kids had a lot of fun. After that we went to a McDonald's down the street that was even Bavarian-themed! If you are ever in the area of Frankenmuth, I definitely recommend going!

In this cheese shop they had "chocolate cheese". (I don't know how they made theirs, but this is the only thing I could find when I googled it. Roy loves it, but I couldn't even swallow it!
I really wish I had gotten one of these! They were expensive, but I should have splurged! But I had really bad heartburn that week and figured this would make it worse.
A huge Santa outside of Bronners.
Distance from Bronners to various places.
Giant polar bear giving Rae a hug.
The McDonalds we ate at.We went back into Saginaw (well, actually Bay City) and stayed another night. Saturday morning we drove into Flint (where Roy grew up) and spent an hour looking at the houses he used to live in. It was neat to see Roy remember little details about the area and neighborhoods. When we got to the house where he lived when he was ages 4-6 he remembered that there was a playground around the block, so we went there for the kids to play. And then we went to the trailer park where he lived when he was ages 6-13 and he took pictures of the creek he used to cross to walk to school. We also stopped by his old school. Even if Roy doesn't get the job in Saginaw I'm glad our whole family went on this trip so we could all see where Roy grew up. It was pretty neat.

Roy lived here from ages 4-6
The playground around the block.
His old school.We drove all day Saturday and got home by 10pm to a lovely snowstorm. Gee whiz, can't spring have a turn?! It all melted the next day, but not before we had a chance to make one last* snowman! (*That's what we said about the snowman we made a couple of months ago!)
The snow that was there to welcome us home!This week has been off and on rainy one day, sunny the next day. We try to enjoy the sunny days as much as possible! It's supposed to be warm and sunny tomorrow, so Rae might actually have a soccer game! (Her game on Saturday got canceled and so did her practice on Monday) Roy won't hear from Saginaw till Monday at the earliest, so I'll keep you posted! And I'll post pictures of our gigantic snowman later.
5 comments:
WOW! Still looks like A LOT of fun! Busy but good, hopefully!
Finally! I loved it!
Sounds like a great little trip. THat is really cool that Roy got to see all his childhood places.
Wow, Chuck E. Cheese sure looks the same at every location, apparently. I like their pizza!
That McDonalds looks cool!
That's quite funny about that town...every McDonald's I've seen in Germany is totally modern and nice. What an interesting city. I'm glad you were able to get Blaise out quickly. That's a pretty scary experience. We've started to get spring here. It rained today, but we had a week of sunny weather. It was fantastic.
Post a Comment