Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Weekend Trip

Roy's mom and Dale flew into St Louis on Friday and we met them there to spend the weekend with them. We didn't get there till 6 Friday night, so we just went and got some dinner and then went to bed. In the morning we got ready as fast as we could and headed over to the Gateway Arch so we could be there when it opened and beat the crowds. It worked! We got to ride to the top of the arch and check out the view - very cool!


We rode in an incredibly small, futuristic-looking bucket

At least we didn't take the stairs...



The ground under us

There were no level surfaces for the camera, so Roy took this

There's a similar picture of Blaise, but he's not happy

The kids loved it and now we can check that off our list of things to do in St Louis. :) That day they happened to have a "Park Palooza" going on outside the arch with lots of demonstrations of things you can do in the Missouri State Parks. I'm glad we came early because the palooza brought extra crowds to the arch and when we left the lines were getting longer and longer!

Rae in a tipi

We went to Olive Garden for lunch - YUMMY and then went back to the hotel to let Isaac get a decent nap. Then we headed back out to look at a few vans (I just wanted to get an idea of what kind we wanted next and there aren't any good dealerships in Kirksville) and we ended up buying one! It's a 2008 Hyundai Entourage and it has 850 miles on it (so, pretty much brand new) It's got power everything and a DVD player. We are really excited. We didn't want to trade in our van and we also didn't want to drive both vans home, so the dealership delivered it to us yesterday. (They had to come this direction anyway.) I'll post pictures of it soon.

(Oh, we also went to Costco and the mall.)

One of those bouncy bungee mall things

Rae and Blaise rode a carousel while poor Isaac watched with interest

9 comments:

Olivia Carter said...

Looks like so much fun. That arch view is freaky. Makes my palms sweat just looking at it.

Katie said...

Wow, the arch looks awesome. I totally want to do that. Chad would freak out though.

That is awesome that you got a new van! Hooray!

I used to have a stroller just like the one that Isaac is in. I knew someone stole it, but I didn't realize it was YOU!

Ashley said...

Katie - Come visit us and we'll do the arch. Chad can wait at the bottom. And I promise I didn't steal your stroller :)

Audra said...

THat is awesome and you will LOVE having a DVD playing in your van! We do not use ours on a daily basis, but on long trips or going to Katie's house it is nice!

Prof. Wright said...

To be honest, I kind of freaked out when we got to the top and I glanced out the windows. It's hard to capture the full effect in pictures, but the room you're in up there basically fills the entire top of the arch, which is pretty narrow. The windows face down, and you have to sort of lie against a sloped wall under one of them to see out (you can see what I mean in the last two pictures from the arch). It feels really dangerous.

Sharon said...

The view is absolutely beautiful! But it did make my stomach feel queasy just looking at the pictures. How did the kids like it up there?

Amy Jenks said...

Isn't STL the greatest? we're loving all the free things to do!

DeGooyer Family said...

Looks like you had fun! We LOVE St. Louis - SO much to do, and most of it free.

Raina said...

Dad and Barbi said they had a nice time, looks like fun.