.....but I don't have anything on my mind. I made the most delicious chicken tortilla soup for dinner. The other day Walmart had some soon-to-expire chicken breasts marked way down so I got a package and of course didn't get around to doing anything to it till yesterday, it's expiration date. I threw most of it in the crock pot to be shredded. Then today I took about 4 cups of the shredded chicken, two cans of chicken broth, a can of tomato sauce, a can of diced green chilies, a can of black beans and a package of McCormick Chicken Taco Seasoning Mix (I use the packaged mixes because I am lame-o with getting the seasoning right) and threw it all together in the crock pot. Actually, I took half of it and threw it in the freezer and the rest went into the crock pot. Then, when I'm in the mood for it again I can take the frozen stuff and let it thaw/cook in the crock pot. I cooked it on low for about 5 hours. I'm sure you could put the chicken in raw, let it cook with everything else and then take it out and shredded it. And it'd probably be good with corn or diced tomatoes too, but I don't like too many different things in my soup. I topped it off with "tortilla chips" which were actually strips of egg roll wrappers leftover from this project. I cut them up, sprayed 'em with cooking spray, sprinkled a little salt on them and crisped them up in the oven. Delicious. And of course topped it all with sour cream, cheese and salsa. So good. Even the kids liked it. I have a little bit leftover for tomorrow and another batch in the freezer. Perfect for the fall weather we've been having.
Next I'm gonna try my cousin Olivia's zuppa toscana. (If I can find kale in stinky K-Ville)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
It sounds good. You'll have to make it again in mid-October.
Yum! Always looking for new recipes!
And you'll love the Zuppas soup. SO GOOD! If you can't find Kale you can use another firm lettuce like thing.
That sounds really really good.
I justhappened to see a Zuppas recipe that called for spinach instead of kale.
Hey Ashley - I found your blog via Ashley Orme's blog.
FYI, I've seen kale at Wal-Mart. It's near the green leaf and red leaf lettuce.
Post a Comment