Tuesday, December 02, 2008

72-hour kits

UPDATE: I was feeling so overwhelmed by this project this morning! But I dropped Rae off at preschool and when I got home I just felt like I knew where everything should go!! I just starting putting everything where I felt like it should go and finished it up in about 45 minutes. Now I have a nice supply of stuff in my van (change of clothes, enough food and water for about 2 days and all the supplies and tools we would need if we were stranded.) and then I have two small backpacks with food, water and supplies in each of them. And then I have a huge huge backpack with extra supplies and extra food. Each backpack is light enough for me to carry and they are all sitting on the floor of the playroom closet ready to be grabbed if needed. (Someday I'd like them to be in the front closet, but that's not going to happen till all of our winter stuff is out of there) I am so excited. I really feel like they would actually be useful if we had an emergency, whereas before it would have been like "uh, yeah, we have all that stuff, somewhere". Anyway, if you do have any suggestions on things you think should be in a 72 hour kit that people don't usually think about, let me know! I'm still working on having copies of things and all that stuff, but for now I have the basics! Woo hoo!

POST FROM EARLIER: Okay, so I have a few different 72-hour kits that I have collected in the past couple of years. They have never been very organized. Today I dumped everything out on my bed and I'm trying to figure out what should go in each bag. Should each bag have a little of everything in case we get separated? Should all the food go in one bag and supplies to in another bag? What sort of stuff should I keep in my van? I finally put together a change of clothes for each of us, should I keep that in the van? I get so overwhelmed when it comes to 72-hour kits. Ugh. What ideas do you have that have worked for you? I need help or my bed is going to be covered with waterproof matches and canned tuna forever and I need to sleep on it! :)

3 comments:

James said...

Redundancy is the key thing, so spread the food and other essentials around among the bags. The bags need to be where you can get to them when you need them. I'd keep them inside, but have a backup "family" kut in the van.

Yes, we need to put ours together. We started a few years back and it transformed into my Scout & Church bags. We need to do new ones anyway because we have 2 girls now.

Christie says our 72 hour kit is the diaper bag.

Ashley said...

Living in a cold place now, I'm totally worried about getting stranded on the road, especially in some of the rural areas around here. I'm mainly trying to prepare for our drive to the airport in a couple of weeks. It's only a 2 1/2 hour drive, but I feel like we should have some extra water and food in the car. I decided to use a duffel bag and put all of our clothing and an extra blanket in there, along with some of the other essentials (flashlight, matches, etc) Then I have 2 small backpacks and one huge backpack that I'm going to divide everything else up into.

I decided to put the change of clothes into the van because I'm always worried that if something happens to our house and we have to go somewhere quick, I want to have a few essentials in the van.

Christie said...

A change of clothes is always a good thing to have in the van anyway, in case of a potty/diaper accident or, I dunno, maybe a Sonic apple juice disaster! Speaking from experience her!
Sounds like you did a great job getting it all together.