I need some suggestions for good books to read with Rae. I feel like we wander around the library and just grab random books off the shelf, never knowing whether they will be decent or not. Any authors/series that your kids have liked? Also, we want to start reading more sophisticated books to her - like Harry Potter, The Hobbit or something like that. Any suggestions on that? And what are some good books for when they are starting to read on their own? Good beginner reader books.
Thanks in advance.
Also, I really really need someone in my family to update their blog! I check them a million times a day - update already! ;)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I would give Rachel a call...she is my go-to-person when it comes to books. For beginning readers, "Now I'm Reading" books are great. There are different series (we have Amazing Animals). There are 10 little books in a hard book like cover and different levels (every level has 10 books) They go over short and long vowel sounds...my kids loved them. Stay away from Junie B. Jones, shes a little brat in the books. Box Car Children and Toad and Frog are favs in my house.
Roverandom by Tolkien is a good start for young readers.
I was going to say Box Car Children, but it depends on if the drive you crazy with the over-the-top goodness and some preachy agendas. I loced them as a kid, but reread them a couple of years ago snd was quite surprised.
Don't know if Rae is quite old enough to enough listening to you read the Little House books, but within a couple years, I think.
Wow...lots of errors in that comment...hope you can read it!
If you go into the layout option of your blog and add the blog list widget, it will automatically tell you when someone has updated. Then you don't have to check all the time.
Owen loves Junie B. Jones. Actually, we've only read one or two of those, but he laughed SO hard.
We've read all forty of the Magic Tree House books by Mary Pope Osborne. Those are pretty good.
Owen also loved The Chronicles of Narnia. Those were some of the very first chapter books we read to him.
I loved A Little Princess and The Secret Garden when I was a kid, but I don't know how old I was when I read them. They're by Frances Hodgson Burnett. Oh, and Ballet Shoes by Noel Streatfield is good, too, but she may be too young. The Little House on the Prairie books are great. Owen sat through the Hobbit and early Harry Potter books when he was four or five, too. It all just depends on her interest and her maturity. I hit the librarian up for suggestions the other day and she had a TON of suggestions, so that's always an option, too.
I really like the Bob Books and the Starfall website for early reading.
I totally agree with Bluebell (especially about the starfall website. That's a good one).
When we first start reading aloud to our children we do the Beverly Cleary books. They love those. We also like the Animal Ark series, A to Z mysteries series and the Wishbone series. Of course my girls are into the American Girls series and (the one that makes me cringe) The Babysitter's club.
But really any reading is good for kids. Even goofy ones. When they start to read, sometimes they have difficulty finding things they enjoy but any reading is helpful in learning the language, vocabulary and sentence structure. Kid's magazines are helpful too. We get National Geographic for kids. Another good read for all of us! Amelia Bedelia is good too. She makes my kids laugh.
Post a Comment