Saturday, February 21, 2009

Farewell Violette

No, she didn't die - we just got rid of her. I've been wanting to get rid of her for about a month now, but the last few days I have been feeling so anxious and annoyed and just had to get rid of her! The kids have very little interest in her and Roy is the only one that can get her out of her cage and hold her and he's not home enough. She also kept kicking over her food bowl and her igloo house and then she would squeak until we fixed it. She squeaked every time we opened the fridge or rustled a grocery bag. We kept her in the playroom and it always smelled like guinea pig. (Not super strong, but strong enough to bug a pregnant woman and make me not want to be in there playing with the kids) And she kept kicking out her litter and hay and sometimes her poop would come along with it. Can you tell I just couldn't stand her? I've discovered I'm definitely not a pet person and we will take a lot more time to decide before we get any other pets. We definitely made a bad decision! We gave her to the local pet store yesterday and I felt immediate relief and delight! The kids could care less that she is gone. Rae argued for a few minutes but I told her there'd be more room in the playroom for a toy kitchen and she was okay with it. No tears, no regrets. :) And now we have an extra 30 bucks a month that we were spending on stupid litter,hay and food! Ahhhh, I am so relieved!

6 comments:

Cheney Family said...

I know how you feel! We've always felt that pets are good for kids in different ways (which is why we have some) but at times the petting zoo is just as good ;)

Christie said...

I'm not surprised. I was old enough when we had guinea pigs to suspect that wasn't going to be a good fit for you. Sounds like you made the right decision!

lindsey said...

wow 30 bucks a month... we don't even spend thatr much on our sugar gliders and they are supposed to be "high maintance" pets... we don't spend enough time with them but they still really like us and let scramble to escape their cage every time we open the door.. glad your kids don;t mind... we are pet people all the way... someday we want to have alot of them

Audra said...

I love pets, the kids love pets, but I am more of a dog person... an animal that will love you back! And Kanga is good protection. Althogh she is not very big she is a good guard dog (she scared the cable man to death the other day)! But yeah, we tried rats because I had a good one once and thought we might get lucky again... I found a good home for them and never looked back!

Ashley said...

I think I could be okay with a cat someday - as long as it is trained to go out a doggie door to go to the bathroom like Eliza was. I will not deal with litter boxes. And I will never have a dog. Bleh.

Bob, Dad and Grandpa said...

That is not the Jeppson way to get rid of pets. I remember the cat getting one pet. Then there was the mouse trap that got another. One got hung in the back yard. Then there is the secret trips to the pound. Ahh what memories.