Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The future

I've been watching a lot of Baby Story and Bringing Home Baby lately on TLC - trying to prep myself for May. I especially like to learn from the mother's mistakes. My belly seems to grow daily and it's becoming more of a reality that in a few short (ha) months we'll be a family of five. It is a blessing that you forget some of those horrible moments of childbirth and those first few weeks (and months). I'm actually looking forward to childbirth a lot more than I am looking forward to the first week home! I am so glad that Roy will be done with school and will be around 24/7 to help out. Oh the joys of being married to a teacher!

I've been thinking of a few things I'll miss once we have a newborn in the house:

-Taking a shower whenever I want. The kids are old enough that I don't have to try to catch a shower before Roy leaves for the day. I'll still be able to squeeze one in once in a while when the baby is napping, but it won't be as relaxed as it is now.

-Only 4, maybe 5 diaper changes a day, with only one or two being poopy. Along with that - a boy who doesn't pee when I take off his diaper! Shoot, I forgot how often newborns poop and pee in the middle of a diaper change!

-Getting 7-9 hours of sleep every night. It's not completely uninterrupted, but not nearly as interrupted as it will be with a newborn. I love my sleep.

-Normal sized, non-leaking boobs. (sorry guys)

Of course the list of joys a newborn brings to the house is a lot longer, or else I wouldn't be doing this again! I remember enough good things to make me want more, and just enough bad things to make them spaced out 2 1/2 years ;) Anything else I should be remembering?

3 comments:

Audra said...

I dislike the initial engorged breasts and the sticky green poop! And the milk smell I always seemed to have until my milk supply evened out.

I am done with babies and am not too sad about it! But I will borrow one to hold and cuddle and give them back! I am enjoying that phase now!

Katie said...

I don't know how you are, but I forgot how MOODY I am right after having a baby. Way more moody than I was the rest of the pregnancy.

At Oliver's first appointment, his pediatrician, who has three kids, commented that the baby days go by so much quicker with your third than the others so you should cherish them. I didn't realize how right she was! Colin's first six months felt like a year and Oliver's felt like a a couple of months.

Oh, and Colin always peed while I changed his diaper, so I was always worried about that with the next two, but Gabe and Ollie did it maybe twice each.

Cheney Family said...

It does go by way too fast. I'm already having to put up the kids toys that are too little. I was hoping for a few more months with a non-mobile baby, but no. I don't mind the little toys being played with behind closed doors, but the kids are not very happy with crawling babies now lol.