Okay, let me just start of this post by explaining that we are not a "Santa believing" family. Before we got married Roy approached me with the opinion that we should not do santa in our house. It was one of our first fights and I was pretty upset about it. But he gave me his reasons and it convinced me. Well, so far it hasn't really been an issue. Last year Rae didn't mention Santa much and we were going to be at my inlaw's house and they do a big celebration Christmas Eve (German tradition) and there isn't a big "let's wake up Christmas morning and see what Santa brought!"
This year, however, we've been telling Rae that Santa is just a character, like Barney, and her presents really come from her family. She agrees that the Santa at Christmas parties is just someone dressed up in a costume, but she still believes there is a real santa out there that has a sleigh, reindeer, goes down chimneys, you have to be asleep before he'll come, all that stuff. I guess she watches a lot of tv and reads a lot of books that put these ideas in her head. It's not like we're going to try to avoid all of those "outside influences" all month long!
So, anyway, we just casually mention that all of that stuff is pretend but we aren't really pushing it because it'll probably just make her believe more. Next year we are doing Christmas alone, so it'll be our chance to really discuss it. But this year we get to enjoy that child-like imagination and excitment about Santa but we know we haven't put it all in her head ourselves. :)
(I totally don't have strong feelings about this subject. It's not like I think all the other parents out there are bad bad parents that 'lie' to their children. I just think Santa is too big of a deal at Christmas and there's no reason for kids to be told that he exists when he doesn't. I want Rae to understand that we give her gifts to show our love for her, not that Santa gives her gifts becasue she was good all year - which is never true!)
ANYWAY, on to the point of the post! Last week there was a math department hoilday party and santa came. Rae was so excited but got so nervous when she sat on his lap. She could hardly make eye contact and wouldn't speak to him. Blaise, on the other hand (who I thought would refuse to get near santa) was so excited and talked to santa and wasn't nervous at all. Of course we forgot our camera but someone took pictures of the kids:


I wish we had our camera to get a video of how cute they both were in their different reactions. They'll have another chance tomorrow at the ward Christmas party so I'll remember the camera this time!
By the way, the math deparment party was great! It was nice and casual and small and there was great food and they even had a couple of students upstairs to entertain the kids. Santa (who was a math professor) had a small present for each kid and when they sat on his lap the department secretary would tell him the child's name and how old they were, so it was all very relaxed and personable. No rushing. We had the chance to talk to a couple that used to live in Solano Park (our old apartment complex) 18 years ago when the husband was doing graduate school! What a small world! Anyway, it was fun.
Today is my sister-in-law Audra's b-day. She's a pretty amazing gal. Hope you have a great birthday Audra!
7 comments:
what cute pics!
i totally see where you're coming from w/ the santa thing. i planned on doing that, too, with my kids because i didn't think i should let them believe in something that isn't real ... but then again, i had fun believing in santa, and even once i knew it was my parents, i still wanted them to play along with it. i just try to make the stocking and a few other things from santa and make a point of telling them that everything else is from us (or grandma, etc).
i'm hoping i feel well enough for the xmas party tomorrow night. i think we'll be there :)
I know Sara, it is fun believing and it's fun having them believe! I just remember being pretty mad when I found out it was not real. (Maybe I was just mad because my younger brother figure it out before me!) I also had a hard time with it because we never got as much stuff from "Santa" as some of my friends did (because we had 8 kids) and I didn't think it was fair for santa to not give equal presents.
I hope you feel better!!
Cute reactions from your kids! I like the idea of Christmas having a certain "magic" to it for the kids, but having them learn what it really is about is important too. Meshing two people's ideas and traditions is not easy - I know from experience. :P
Lest anyone think I have some ultra-virtuous motives for the Santa thing, it doesn't really have anything to do with making Christmas more Christ-centered. That's a nice excuse, but I personally don't care about it very much. It's also not completely about lying, since like any good parent I lie to my kids (or at least directly mislead them) on a regular basis. My problem with Santa is that it would be lying with no other purpose than my own enjoyment.
In a weird way I can not wait for my kids to find out Santa is not real because I seriously am tired of working my ba-hootie off for some fake weirdo-man to get all the credit!!!
I am going to do a blog post about it sometime. Just because I am selfish like that and I would like to hear a thank you for all my hard work!!!
I think the picture of Rae is priceless!
I totally agree with "the Husband". It wasn't something my husband and I talked about before marriage, but we don't do the Santa thing either. We avoid him like the plague at Christmas time. When I was the ward activity person, I made sure Santa wasn't at the Ward party either!! Ba Hum Bug!
But somehow my kids think there is a Santa. But they also know how it feels to play Santa and that Santa needs help sometimes. They also realize that Santa is one of Christ's helpers. We all are. It is our job here on this earth to bring joy and happiness to others and Santa just happens to be one of those "people".
Sami Thompson
Post a Comment