Thursday, May 14, 2009

Finally home

I got home yesterday afternoon - this was my longest hospital stay and I was so ready to leave!! Since I tested positive for Group B Strep and I didn't have time for the antibiotics before Isaac was born (see story below) they had to keep Isaac for 48 hours to watch him closely. But we are home now, and enjoying it!

Here's the short story, I'll go into more details another day:

I woke up at 1:38am Tuesday morning and thought I felt my water break. But it was just a little tiny gush and I wasn't sure. I got up and went to the bathroom and still wasn't sure. So I laid back down for a while. Then I got up and used the computer for a few minutes. I stood up at 1:55 and felt a bigger gush and knew it was my water! I woke Roy up and he hopped in the shower and I called our friend who was going to watch our kids. I got dressed and got everything together and we left our house around 2:35. At this point I was starting to feel a lot of contractions and was starting to worry that we weren't going get there quick enough. We took the kids to our friend's house and headed to the hospital. I was checked in around 3am. The nurse checked to make sure my water had broken and then checked me and said I was at 7cm. I knew I was already going through transition. I felt nauseous and just couldn't get into a good position to deal with the contractions. It was constant pain, no breaks at all. After 15 minutes or so I said I was feeling a lot of pressure and wondered if it was time to push. The nurse checked me again and said I was at 9cm. I decided to stand up and see if that helped, and my nurse said I could push just a little bit to relieve some of the pressure. So I stood up and wrapped my arms around Roy's neck and leaned on him and that offered a lot of relief. I would push every so often and then all of a sudden I felt like Isaac was going to just fall out! I got back into bed and the nurse checked me and said I was ready to push. I didn't even get into the typical "pushing position" with my legs up, I just started pushing! My doctor just barely had his gloves on in time to start catching Isaac! And we almost forgot to get the camera out! He was out in about 3 pushes - officially born at 3:46am. It was amazing!! (BTW, a little TMI, but I didn't tear AT ALL - which has made recovery a breeze!) Unfortunately he didn't get enough antibiotics, but since my water was only ruptured for 2 hours before he was born, there was less of a risk for him getting GBS.

Anyway, it's taken me a really long time just to write this much. Here are some pictures, and more stories to come soon (including the tornado that hit Kirksville).

I had to post this one because Roy spent so much time touching up my blemishes :)


Getting ready to leave!


Waiting for daddy to bring the car to the front of the hospital.


Excited to see his brother!


Rae holding Isaac for the first time.

11 comments:

mom and grandma of BOLTON BUNCH said...

Wow, what a nice labor and delivery. Lucky you got back in bed in time! And i say this as Diona is on hour 22 since water broke yesterday and she has been in hospital ever since. Hopefully soon Issac's distant boy cousin will be born just 3 days after him. And yes, I have been up all night and heard about the tornado and had that news add to my concern through the night. I heard it at about 2 AM and they were talking about 2 fatalities in a small MO town and when they said Kirksville, I sat up and paid attention, not sure I had heard that right- yeah, can't wait to hear about it. I guess that was Issac's welcome home. Did you read Ric's blog about the reptile omen? Really wierd stuff.

Prof. Wright said...

I hardly touched that photo up at all.

Olivia Carter said...

You should have posted that picture you look FAB!

Christie said...

Uh oh. A tornado came through when James was born, too. Watch out!

I'm sure it was frustrating having to wait to make sure he didn't have GBS, but I can tell you it's worth it...not something you want to mess around with!

Oh, and when I saw that pic of you on FB I wondered how much tweaking had gone into it!

Katie said...

Ashley - great to hear from you. I vaguely heard something about a tornado the other day and didn't realize it was in Kirksville! I am SO glad for you that the delivery went well and that Isaac is home and healthy. And you are truly truly beautiful, touch-ups or no touch-ups!

Unknown said...

i thought about you when i heard about Kirksville!
you look GREAT in your picture! Isaac is a doll.

Pao said...

Congratulations !!!We luv u and miss you!

Raina said...

so glad it went so well for you! You both look great! instead of retouching my photo, we prefered just to photoshop Scarlet Johansen's head onto my body.

Audra said...

What an amazing story... basically 2 hours... WOW!!! You are super-birther!

I never tore as well, so I understand how wonderful that is. I think... since I do not know any other way!

Levi was watching the news, heard "tornado in Kirksville" and in one motion seemed to grab the phone and call your mom! We are glad you are ok!

I am happy Isaac did not drop on the floor... he would be teased for life like poor Aaron!

And I love the picture of you in the hospital! Touched up or not... it is beautiful and you are glowing! Congrats Momma of 3!

me said...

Wow, you are fortunate you look so gorgeous after just having given birth! I doubt there was much to touch-up, you are naturally beautiful. Congrats again!

The Bailey Family said...

Yay! Congratulations! He looks wonderful.