Our van needs some work done on it, so Roy called the repair shop to set up an appointment. He told them that there's a grinding noise when you turn the steering wheel and it sounds like it is coming from the rear of the vehicle. The repair guy said "okay, so you have a grinding in the rear".
Man oh man - good stuff.
By the way, does anyone know what is causing our van to have a grinding noise when we turn the steering wheel? It's getting worse and worse. I'd like to be a little prepared before we take it in on Wednesday.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Maybe the wheel bearings? Our car made a similar noise once, and that's what it was.
hope your rear gets better. LOL!
and hopefully they can figure out what's wrong w/ your car, too. ;)
LOL. You are such a dork. No idea what is wrong with your car though. Hope it is nothing serious/costly!
When James gets up I'll ask him. I *think* he got to bed "early" last night, so hopefully it won't be too long.
haha...that's good.
I don't know. Maybe the power steering fluid is low?? I know nothing about cars though. That'd be my best guess. For what it's worth - and that's probably nothing.
My dad is the one to really ask, but:
Grinding when you turn the wheel could be the power steering pump. But if the sound is coming from the back of the van, that could be your differential if you have rear-wheel drive.
Ok, questions for troubleshooting:
Does it matter which direction you turn the wheel?
Does the noise get louder the more you turn?
Do you hear the noise at other times when the wheel isn't turned?
Front or rear-wheel drive?
If memory serves, the van is an automatic transmission, right?
How are the brakes.... does the van pull to one side or another when they are applied, especially if applied suddenly?
James,
Does it matter which direction you turn the wheel? No. It used to seem like it happened more when we turned right, but I think it was because I have to make a sharp right turn to get into our parking space...but it definitely does it when we turn both directions.
Does the noise get louder the more you turn? Yes. It used to only make the noise when we turned sharp turns, but now it makes it with the slightest turn.
Do you hear the noise at other times when the wheel isn't turned? No
Front or rear-wheel drive? AWD
If memory serves, the van is an automatic transmission, right? Yes
How are the brakes.... does the van pull to one side or another when they are applied, especially if applied suddenly? We had the brakes done a year ago. They are fine.
Again, my dad would be the best one to ask, but I'm still thinking either the power steering pump (but that would make noise up front) or the differential since it it seems to be coming from the rear. More power is probably being applied in the rear to compensate for what is lost from the tires up front during a turn, and that could be why the sound is coming from the rear.
Either way, it doesn't sound cheap, but I won't mind being wrong on this one.
Post a Comment