Last year I didn't buy any real snow clothes for any of us. When we played in the snow we wore a couple of layers,the kids wore their rain boots and Roy and I just wore regular shoes. Every morning I had to walk out to the car in the snow/slush/mud in my tennis shoes and then suffer the rest of the day with cold, wet feet. But no, I wasn't going to buy snow boots because that would be a waste of money because I wouldn't need them after we moved far far away from the snow. Well, we didn't move far far away, so this year I bought some lovely insulated, waterproof boots that I absolutely love. I was especially appreciative of them yesterday when we went sledding. (I wish I had pictures from sledding, but one of us was holding Isaac while the other was helping with the sledding, so no pics)
Oh, and speaking of sledding, I didn't even want to buy a sled for the kids last year because I figured we'd never need it again. We did buy one, and this year I'm considering buying a second one.
At the end of the winter season last year I found some snow boots on clearance for the kiddos, so they are much more comfortable this year too. And I finally broke down and got them some snow bibs too. They played in the snow for about 2 hours yesterday without getting wet or cold - totally worth the money!
Last year I refused to buy a snow shovel. I used our neighbor's shovel a couple of times, but no way was I going to spend the money on a shovel that we'd never need again and have to store all summer long. This year I bought one right away.
The fact is that a lot of the places we'll end up living get snow. There are lot more jobs in the east than in the west. There are lot of jobs in the "midwest" states. Oh, and there is also a job here for another year if we want to stay. So this year when all the snow stuff is on clearance? I'll be stocking up!
Now I just need to find a place to live that has an attached garage and I'll be all set for living in the snow!
5 comments:
I know what you mean. I think I'll break down & get some snow pants this year. And a sled.
Ugh, to snow.
Really enjoyed this post. Glad you are more comfortable this year. Sounds like sledding was a lot of fun.
That's a very large icicle!
Knock on wood, we haven't gotten snow yet here in St Louis. Weird that we are so close and the weather seems to be so different.
They have a posting down here for a math instructor. Definitely no snow here.
Hmmmm...buying all that stuff sounds like a good wasy to insure that you WILL move somewhere warm! (I know that's what you're really doing!)
Post a Comment