We hadn't been making much progress on potty training, and I was completely stressed out about it. Then I realized that the method I used with Rae might not be best with Blaise. Rae was eager to please and less spacey, so she got the hang of it pretty quickly, but it still took her till she was almost 4 1/2 before she wasn't having accidents. I decided to take a different approach with Blaise.
Now he wears pullups everyday instead of underwear. Progress is slow, but at least I'm not following him around watching to see if his butt cheeks clench and asking him if he needs to poop. I was getting him to poop on the potty occasionally, but most of the time it would end up on the floor on in his underwear. Since I put him in pullups he hasn't even attempted to poop on the potty, and I don't care! He will tell me every once in a while that he needs to pee, but he usually pees in his pullup too. I don't care! I know he'll figure it out eventually, and if he doesn't figure it out on his own then I'll push him when he is a little older. For now he has a sticker chart and when he pees he gets one sticker, and if he ever poops he'll get two stickers and his candy bar. When he fills up his chart he gets to get a toy from the dollar store.
And I'm much more relaxed! If I hadn't changed my approach, his candy bar would have been long gone by now - because I would have been desperate enough to eat Hershey's!
6 comments:
i love your attitude! that is totally what i did with my boys---much prefer tossing a pair of pull-ups instead of trying to clean a pair of poopy-gross underwear---which usually got tossed too.
I love the bribery method. I didn't make a conscious choice to do that but I totally did.
I really like the quote too. SO TRUE!
I figure Elizabeth still has a year and a half until Kindergarten :)
Potty training is ROUGH! I'm glad you are takin' it easy - it's best for both child and mother I think.
Good luck.
Cool. I am glad you have found something isn't stressing you out. Potty training sucks.
I had a lady insult me in the bathroom at Wal-mart when I was changing Nolan's diaper... coward said something mean about him not being potty trained as she was walking out. He just had the hardest time getting it. He just needed to be a little bit older. Then when he got it, he got it, and it was so much easier. He will learn. I love your chart!
Post a Comment