Sunday, October 04, 2009

Successful morning session

Since we've had kids we haven't been very good about watching/listening to General Conference. Usually we'll listen to it later or read it in the Ensign later. But this year I knew Rae was old enough to have higher expectations for her. So I decided that we'd sit through at least one session as a family. I didn't bother planning to go to the church building, because Isaac does not nap well anywhere but his crib. So this morning we cleaned the house up, ate lunch, set the DVR and prepared to watch the morning session. We started it about an hour late, but it worked out perfectly because Isaac went down for a nap after the first speaker and slept the whole time! Lovely! And how did we get the kids to be reverent? One word. Cookies.

I put this paper on the wall and when they were too loud I crossed off a letter. Totally worked. They also played BINGO with tootsie rolls and got to eat the tootsie rolls when they got 5 in a row. The rest of the time Blaise played in the playroom and Rae worked on a word search, listened a little bit, and looked over her shoulder to check the cookie paper. Now I'm going start some pizza dough in the bread machine, and I think our special word for the next session will be PIZZA. (We just barely finished the morning session, so we might start the afternoon session late) And then sometime tonight and this week I'll have to watch yesterday's sessions. Maybe I'll listen to them on my mp3 player while I exercise this week!
Yes Katie, I copied you.

Roy needed something to keep him awake, so he painted this bank that the kids made at the Home Depot Workshop yesterday. Turned out really nice. (on the front are stickers - he didn't paint that part - he just painted the edges and top silver and the sides and back black)



6 comments:

Olivia Carter said...

Oh good, I'm glad it went well! You've given me some great ideas for next year!

Katie said...

Great ideas! I will have to copy you next time. Ollie kind of killed the first session today. Not just kinda...totally killed. He was as naughty as he usually is at church. We have a lot to still watch.

Ashley said...

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to conference in April when Isaac is almost one.

DeGooyer Family said...

I LOVE the cookie idea!!

Audra said...

What a great idea. I may have to steal that too. I do not have my kids watch conference yet because over 1/2 of them do not understand a missionary discussion much less conference, but I have high hopes for April.

Aida said...

Love the bribery chart idea. I'll have to keep that in mind for future use.