Monday, August 11, 2008

I don't want to grow up

I've been getting a lot of gray hairs lately. They make me very sad. They wouldn't be that big of deal except that they are really noticeable when I pull my hair back at all and they are so coarse that they don't lie flat like the rest of the hairs, they stick out and call attention to themselves. This is the first summer in a long time that I haven't chopped my hair off when it gets hot. But with the humidity here I at least needed to get an inch or so cut off so it wouldn't feel so heavy on my neck. Anyway, after getting the trim I decided I should dye it too! I did it this morning and I don't see much of a difference except that it did seem to cover up the grays.

I don't actually mind getting older, it's just looking older that I mind. When I was a teenager people always thought I looked older than I was, so does that mean I still do? I just don't think it's fair to have zits and gray hair - come on!

And in case anyone thinks I'm totally shallow and appearance-obsessed, I really don't think I am. I spent like 8 bucks on the hair dye and it's only something I do when I'm feeling particularly depressed about my looks and dying my hair is the easiest, most convenient change to make (easier than clearing up zits and losing weight!) And yes, the gray hairs do bother me, judge all you want! I'll let my hair go gray when I'm a grandma, but until then I'll probably keep pulling them out or coloring them.

But I really should work on the losing weight thing too. Sigh.

4 comments:

Katie said...

Mine have been popping up like crazy this pregnancy. Since my hair won't fit into a ponytail, they really aren't noticable, but it still bothers me how quickly they are coming on. Oh, but my acne has finally finally cleared up. Just a very occasional zit. I was beginning to think that would never happen. I too will dye my hair when they gray hairs start to become an issue. And like you, I know I am totally not vain at all. I mean, we are totally low maintainence (sp?), don't you think?

I had the opposite experience though growing up - people always used to tell me I looked young for my age, but I NEVER hear that anymore, so it makes me think that I am aging quickly.

Audra said...

My hair started going grey senior year in high school. So I have been battling it got a long time. I tried to grow it out once and I looked like an old hag, so I keep on dying. When I get roots I have enough gray that it looks terrible and witchy!

Andrea said...

Zits and gray hair, that was funny. I don't recall you having zits, is it the humidity?

Ashley said...

I'm glad you don't remember my zits! I don't have all that many, but a few here and there and I usually pop them and pick at them and make them worse! They don't bother me that much, I just wish that if I was old enough to get gray hairs than I'd be old enough to be done with zits!