Thursday, August 14, 2008

Sleep-out


Rae is always asking to go camping. We were going to go this week at the State park near by, but we don't really have much camping equipment. We had to leave our ice chest in Charlotte because we couldn't fit it into our van. Our tent is big enough for all four of us, but we only have two sleeping bags. We have no equipment to cook food, etc,etc. So, anyway, yesterday Blaise didn't take a nap so we got him to bed super early and then set our tent up outside and Rae and I slept out there. She was an angel all night getting ready for bed and was giddy with delight when we settled down for the night. She fell asleep pretty easily even though our porch light is pretty bright. Our new neighbors arrived last night after Rae had fallen asleep, so I spent the next hour or so talking to them. I went to bed around 11 and sometime during the night it started raining. The roof cover wasn't on the tent so I felt the sprinkling and got out and put the cover on just in time. It started pouring and was pouring all night. Rae woke up around 7:15 and was so excited that she had slept in the tent all night and that it was raining and thundering. We had to run inside in the rain. It was so much fun to do that with her and I'm sure she'll ask to do it again soon! Sleeping out like that just made me want to go real camping. But camping in the rain isn't very fun when you don't have a house to run to if your tent leaks!

On a side note, we ran out of pull-ups for her the other day, so I told her it was time to start wearing underwear to bed. She was going most nights without peeing in her pull-up, so I figured she was ready and things are finally calmed down around here. She peed in her underwear the first night but since then she's been dry! I usually wake her up when I go to bed and make her go potty. But last night I forgot to even have her pee before bed! And she slept out in the cold with it raining, I'm very impressed that she didn't have an accident. I told her this morning that I was proud of her and she said "I didn't want to get the tent wet." I'm very very glad, because sleeping bags are a pain to wash!

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

This reminds me of camping in your backyard in Blythe, with you and Laurie Hipwell telling ghost stories and freaking us all out--some of my best and most treasured memories.

Christie said...

Oh, how fun! I can't wait until I can do that with Elizabeth!

James said...

My dad used to take us camping out back behind the housing every Friday night. Then we'd make pancakes for breakfast in the morning. Bryan and I really loved doing that (and got mad whenever my dad had to pull CQ duty on the weekend). We really weren't able to do it much with Darren, which I guess is why he wasn't into Scouting like the rest of us.

Linda, Mom and Granny said...

I can't wait to camp with grandkids! Come to Blythe in early spring, or when we live in a cooler area, and I will camp with your kids! Or maybe I will go to your house and camp in your tent with Rae and Blaise!

James said...

just found this with stumble:

http://www.bodibag.com/options.php