Thursday, October 16, 2008

Cold

I went to go to the gym this morning. There is ice on my windshield. I can't drive with ice on my windshield. Back inside I go.

I was not prepared for ice already. I guess I need to get some sort of ice scraper or something? Ugh. Not ready for winter yet! I'm sure by the time we need to go to preschool at 10:30 it will be nice and sunny and warming up, but if I want to go to the gym at 6:30 every morning I'm going to have to get used to ice. Roy is applying to jobs for next year and I'm going to make him take anywhere cold off his list.

13 comments:

Jamie said...

Ice scrapers are helful! I learned that in Provo. Also sometimes I would go out a little earlier and start the car so it would warm up and then use the heater on the windshield. Sometimes after you scrape off the ice you get fog on the windshield so the heater helps with that.

Olivia Carter said...

I HATE being cold too- well, cold I can handle but I HATE snow. I swear I'm telling Scott now REALLY snowy places!

I could live in a place where there is only 1 season & NEVER miss trudging through slush.

lindsey said...

we have had ice for like 3 weeks... yesterday was a really nice day and the high was 57. it only gets worse

Audra said...

I have used CD cases, credit card, key tags... as window scrapers before in a desperate situation. The better option for me would be to clean out the garage. Maybe someday!

And yes, somewhere that does not get too cold is nice!

James said...

If you really want to try the "one season" thing, you've got Texas and some funky town on the California/Arizona border. Weather variety is a good thing.

Chad Coleman said...

Snow once a year here and it was 85today! But yes, the humidity sucks.

Ashley said...

Audra - I almost used a credit card this morning, but it was just too cold to stand there scrapping ice.
And I despise you people that have garages and don't park in them! :)

Chad - we had humidity here too. I would love to live somewhere like Charlotte where you can enjoy a little bit of snow but not a whole season of freezing temps.

What I'm REALLY scared about are these things I keep hearing about called "ice storms". Anyone want to host me and the kids for the winter months?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_storm

lindsey said...

hmmm a magical place with one season.. oh yeah! thats where seth and i are planning on moving... its called puerto rico!

Ashley said...

No thanks Lindsey - Hurricanes and Puerto Ricans.

Linda, Mom and Granny said...

Ashley, we have a lot of rooms in our house! You're Welcome!

Christie said...

You are well-advised to be scared of ice storms. I'll never forget driving home from Valley View in one my first year of teaching. My car was completely encased in ice by the time I got home and I had to stick my head out the window to see where I was driving. School let out early and they told the teachers to leave immediately. The freeway was pretty clear when I started the 20 mile drive, but almost closed by the time I got off almost 2 hours later.
Upper 70s and bright sun here today...NICE.

lindsey said...

hurricanes don't hit puerto rico... they average one every 5 years or so, and the houses there are built better so the island is hardly effected. plus we are gunna go the the more american part of the island.

James said...

The problem with ice storms isn't so much the storm itself (which is bad) but that most people don't know how to drive in them.

Huricanes have been getting bigger lately, and PR has been on the firing line quite a bit. Even if the houses are sturdier, just dealing with the storm has to be a pain. And if you do have a doosey storm heading right at you, where do you go?

I guess I'm just saying, everywhere you go has problems of some kind. Its all in the trade offs. If it doesn't get cold, what's the rest of the story?