Wednesday, October 01, 2008

On being a "grown-up"

When we started our life in Davis I was miserable. Roy was busy busy with school, I had a newborn and was far away from family. I made friends pretty quickly, Rae grew up into a fun toddler and we got a little more used to graduate school. Roy was always busy with school, but always had a very flexible schedule and we did a lot of outings together as a family. By the end of graduate school I felt like we finally had a routine down (it only took us 4 years to get one figured out!) and then life got all messed up again. :)

Also, we lived in a small, dinky apartment. BUT, we had free cable, water, trash and internet! We had incredible neighbors and free service from a fairly competent maintenance crew that took care of anything we needed. Of course, all I could think about was being DONE WITH SCHOOL and on to real life.

The grass is always greener on the other side! Don't get me wrong, I am grateful to be done with school and making a little more money. I just think it's going to take some time to get used to, just like it took us time with graduate school. Roy's schedule isn't really flexible at all right now because he's just getting the hang of being a full-time professor and can't give up any valuable work hours. Also, he's applying to jobs for next fall, so that's a big load on top of everything else.

We live in a great duplex type place with a few mormon neighbors, but there aren't the abundance of kids around like in Davis. And there are quite a few parks around, but none as nice as the ones in Davis. And now we really are FAR from family.

What got me thinking about all this was first the smaller than expected paycheck we got yesterday, and then we got our water bill today.(they come every 2 months, so this was our first one) We haven't had to pay a water bill in about 5 years, so it's something we are getting used to again. Is life really better in the real world?? :) I'm sure we'll get used to it all and adjust just fine, but these first few months have been a little shock to our system!

Now I just have to try to enjoy what we having going on here and try not to think about how "great" life will be when we are really settled somewhere (because then we will have a mortgage, home maintenance, really being stuck somewhere and what if we don't like it!)

Hmm, not sure if this post makes any sense. The kids needed my help a few times and I lost my train of thoughts a few times. Oh well.

5 comments:

Christie said...

Would you believe I've NEVER paid a water bill? I know it will be a shock when we leave the sweet housing deal we have here...which is why we haven't left here. I remember when I was in college, living on about $3000 in summer earnings for the whole school year; I thought I would be FINE my first year of teaching and have money left over. HAH!

Pao said...

Just think is going to be a year.Then will be some place exciting to go to.I remember when I first moved to davis I couldn't get used to it , everything was so far , i mean stores.But the I got used to it and now I like it.I think friendship makes it easy.You guys will be so good,.I mean your husband is a "professor" that's something that Rae will be real proud to say when she's older.Sometimes for us this time sucks too , because we are to "wealthy" to get into medical and too poor to pay for insurance.Well that's a different story. Anyways, I just want to say Go Wrights!
I'll get better!! BTW we miss you!

Katie said...

I think I was really protected from a lot of that because Chad does all the bills and stuff. I really never saw how much we paid in taxes until probably a year into his first job here (and then I was really SHOCKED). Chad has kinda allowed me to slowly ease into adulthood.

However, there is always a little bit of a let-down whenever a big event happens and then I am just settling into normal life again. Moving into a new city or house brings stress and excitement and anticipation and wondering and then once that is over it is just the day-to-day again.

Audra said...

Everytime I have moved, for the first 6 months I think "What was I thinking?". I am in a new place, I do not know how to get around, I do not know the 'short cuts'. Then once things get settled and I am back into a routine I am always happy where I am! Like Charlotte. When I first moved here I could not help but think how different it was from Virginia and wondered if I would ever get used to it. Now there is no place I would rather be :)! SO hand it there. It will get better!

Jo Lynn said...

It's so so easy to think of how life is going to be once a new stage of life takes place, but it's the now that's so important.
I miss you and wish you still lived in Solano.....
As I read your post I realize I need to be more grateful for the many bike paths and parks that we have here in Davis...I forget most places aren't like Davis. I'm sure you will find the neat things about where you live and once you leave you'll be wishing you were back there.