Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Productive morning

I got Rae's speech class moved to 9am instead of 8:30 in hopes that I can squeeze in the gym in the morning. I went yesterday (no speech) and it was so great. I hadn't been in about 2 weeks. I didn't make it today (speech day) because Roy needed some extra sleep more than I needed exercise. (Poor guy is so busy and stressed!)

Speech at 9am is way nicer! It still makes me get up and out the door early, but gives me enough time to make the kids a nice breakfast, clean up after breakfast and leave on time feeling calm. We dropped Roy off at work since it's on the way and it's raining (he hasn't been able to ride his bike much - it's always too wet!) After speech we went to the library and hung out for about 40 minutes. Our library is great - tons of puzzles, toys and a puppet show - the kids love to just hang out there. When we got home the kids were happy to just play and watch tv and I decided to go through boxes of "misc clothes" and see what sort of things we have for winter. I was happy to discover that the kids' winter coats still fit them! And Blaise had a couple of pants and pjs that I didn't know about. And I even had a pair of footsie pajamas for Rae that I forgot I had. (She's wearing them around the house - she LOVES footsie pjs) I love collecting things throughout the year, either on clearance or from friends, and then when the time comes to use them you forgot you even had them! Luckily I went through these boxes early because I had no idea we had so much stuff and I probably would have gone out and bought new jackets! We have a pretty good supply for winter and we might have to start using it soon...yuck. I feel prepared and happy to have that out of the way. I also put away a bunch of shorts and t-shirts to make room for pants and long-sleeves. And the kids played nicely this whole time and enjoyed trying on jackets and gloves. A very nice use of a rainy day! Now they are watching Bambi and eating popcorn (I really should make them lunch)

Last week I was in a rut and super grumpy and depressed. The house was a mess, Roy was super busy (still is) and everything was just making me depressed. But yesterday I got to workout, I ate well all day, and just felt great. When Roy got home from work we got the house cleaned from top to bottom and now life is really looking up. I'm still adjusting to life here and still don't feel like I've made many friends. Rae enjoys preschool twice a week, but other than that we haven't had anyone over to play or gone over to anyone's house. I know that I need to step out of my comfort zone and actually call someone and invite them over, but it's hard for me to do. That's the main thing that gets me down. Every few days I just really miss the friends we had in Davis and I miss being comfortable and knowing everyone. Most of the young moms in our ward have husbands in medical school, and they have their own little network. Totally great for them - just wish we were part of it! I look back to Solano Park Apartments and all of us moms with husbands in graduate school and I hope we didn't seclude anyone who wasn't part of that "situation."

(I'm not sure if anyone from my current ward is reading this...if you are, just know that I don't think anyone is doing anything wrong, I just need to find a way to "belong" in this ward and it's going to take some effort on my part!)

Anyway, things are good now. I'm enjoying life and I know what I need to do to enjoy it even more and what to do to keep myself from getting into ruts all the time!

1 comment:

Sara said...

i know how you feel! my husband's not in medical school either. it takes some time to adjust to kirksville, that's for sure. how long will you guys be here?

i have your phone number :)