Tuesday, October 14, 2008

St.Louis

Roy didn't have work on Thurs/Fri for midterm break, so we decided to go make a little trip to St.Louis. I got a good deal on priceline for a hotel. We headed out right after preschool on thursday (around 12:30) and had a really good drive without any stops. We went straight to a mall that was near our hotel and let the kids run around and burn off some energy and got some Panda Express for dinner (yum! we don't have one here in kirksville, so it's been months!)

The plan was to check into the hotel and then I would go to the temple. Well, we got lost on the way to the hotel and ended up driving around for about 40 minutes (the mall was only 4 miles from the hotel) We finally found it and got checked in and I had to hurry and eat some dinner, get dressed and get going. But I still had plenty of time and really enjoyed going to the temple. Roy got the kids to bed and I got back to the hotel around 9 and went to bed too. Pretty uneventful. :)

The next morning we all got up and ate the breakfast I had packed, but realized it just wasn't enough food. So Roy got dressed to go to the temple and we headed out in search of some food. The traffic was horrible and there weren't many options for food in the area. We finally found a mcdonalds. We ate real quick then I dropped Roy off at the temple and headed back to the hotel (it was great because the hotel was only a 5 minute drive from the temple) The kids and I went swimming in the indoor pool, which was the highlight of the entire trip! We had the pool to ourselves and the kids had a blast!! It was really, really great.

We went back to the hotel room and got ready for the day and got everything ready to go and went to the temple to pick Roy up. Then back to the hotel to check out. By then we were all hungry for lunch, so we decided to start driving to the zoo and find something to eat on the way. Well, again, not many food options. We drove around for a really long time and finally found an IHOP. We didn't realize how huge St.Louis is and how busy and crowded it is. Yuck. Not a fun place to try to find your way around.

Anyway, we finally made it to the zoo around 1:30. It was super super crowded but the weather was perfect and the kids enjoyed it. We didn't see most of it because it was so huge, but we can always go back another day. It's free to get into the zoo and then they have some attractions that you can pay for. (Like a train that cost 5 bucks a person!! Rae was upset the whole time that we wouldn't let her go for a ride. But we had already spent a lot on this trip and just couldn't afford 20 bucks for us all to ride the train! I told her she can start saving her money and we can ride it next time.)

We left the zoo around 4 and headed to Costco. We got stuck in traffic AGAIN and what was supposed to be a 20 minute drive was a 45 minute drive. Ugh. By then we were all tired and grumpy and hungry. By the time we finished at costco, got dinner, got gas and got on the road it was about 6:30. We put the kids in their pajamas, put a movie on and told them to go to sleep! They went to sleep as soon as the movie was over, so we made another trip without any stops.

All in all it was a good trip, just not as relaxing as I had hoped it would be. And since Roy took Thurs and Fri off, it meant he had to work all day Saturday and all night too. I still haven't unpacked from the trip. But at least we both got to go to the temple, so that was worth it. Here are some pics: (we didn't get very many)


Roy and the kids at the temple


St.Louis temple


Blaise watching the hippos. The stuff floating in there is hay that comes out in their poop. Gross. And Blaise's hair looks ridiculous!



Hippos are some crazy animals. They are so weird.

2 comments:

Linda, Mom and Granny said...

I just realized that I hadn't read this blog. I was thinking that was a old blog, but I saw the date. I knew all the details when we talked after the trip. I'm glad the trip was good, even if it wasn't relaxing for you.

St. Louis temple is pretty.

Katie said...

Sounds like a good trip, despite all the traffic. That is how we feel every time we go to Atlanta - you have to worry about the traffic no matter where you are going or what time of the day.