Monday, November 24, 2008

A few lessons I learned today

Lesson #1:
Do not take your kids to Walmart more than 3 times in a week. They will be horrible and will not want to sit in the shopping cart. Also, do not shop on Saturday afternoons or the week of a holiday. Grumpy kids and crowded aisles are a bad combination.

Lesson #2: Ignore "sympathetic, I'm sorry you have such bad kids and are such a bad mom" looks while shopping at Walmart. Okay, maybe that's not what they are really thinking. Just ignore everyone around you and try to do the best you can to control your kids.

Lesson #3: It is okay to take your kids to McDonalds every once in a while when you don't want to make lunch. Or dinner. Or snacks. And when you take above-mentioned crazy kids after your trip to Walmart, continue to ignore "maybe if you didn't let your kids drink soda at McDonalds they wouldn't be so crazy and misbehaved!" looks. Can you tell I'm a little self-conscious lately?

Lesson #4: To avoid having crazy kids when you get home from the above activities, take them to the park on the way home. It may be 40 degrees outside, but this is as warm as it is going to get, so take advantage of it. Also, you should always have gloves in the car because they will come in handy at the park.

Lesson #5: My kids can last longer in the cold than I can. I don't know if they adjust easier to climate changes or if they were running around more than me so they stayed warmer. Or maybe they just ignored the cold. All I know is that after 20 minutes I was ready to go. But they had fun and got some wiggles out.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh gosh, your day sounds like mine so far, and it's barely afternoon. I will never judge a mother with small children. It's a hard, hard job. Good thing you care so much for your kids enough to do stuff with them though. You must be the best of the best. Love ya Ash!

Jo Lynn said...

Oh my gosh, congrats on being prego. That's so exciting! I love your lessons, I'll remember them for the near future. So I'm changing your blog address so I can check your blog, I always tell myself I'm going to do it and then I always run out of time. I hope you guys are doing well, we miss you!!!

Katie said...

I could have written this post word for word in May or so. I have thought all of those things so many times.

Sabina said...

yes!! we took the kids to the park on saturday morning and was cold too,we took the bikes and they enjoy that so much, that we decide to do it more frecuently even on winter time.

me said...

I'm still stuck on "do not take your kids to Walmart." Sigh.

--Rachel