Friday, November 28, 2008

Some Thanksgiving highlights

Our day started with an 8 am trip to a nice, empty Walmart for Thanksgiving day doughnuts! (We might have to make that a tradition) We wandered around for a while enjoying the quiet store and looking at stuff we don't usually have time to look at. We got home and ate doughnuts, drank chocolate milk and thought about when we should start the turkey.

The weather was gorgeous , so we tossed the turkey into the oven around 11 and headed to Thousand Hills State Park to appreciate some nature. It was gorgeous and the kids had a blast playing at the playground and throwing rocks into the lake. Rae had fun walking on the rocks and figuring out which rock she could safely step on next. It was great, and it was so nice to be outside! I think I might take the kids back today since the weather is nice again.







We got home and cleaned up a little and finished up "dinner/lunch". I cooked my first turkey and it turned out great. The kids were not impressed with cranberry sauce. We made jello jigglers for dessert, cut into shapes with Christmas cookie cutters and topped with cool whip. It was a great, no fuss dessert! Oh wait, except that Blaise fussed when he finished his whipped cream and didn't want to eat the actual jello! :)


Then Roy passed out on the couch in a typical Thanksgiving day manner. I don't think it was from eating too much but just from overall exhaustion from his busy life. Later on he watched a bit of the "big game". Okay, not really, but he did watch some hockey! Rae and Blaise played the computer and we all just lounged around waiting till it was time to go to bed! For dinner we each had a roll and then the rest of the pie I had bought for dessert. The kids were asleep by 6:30!


Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving Day! Oh, did I mention that Rae does in fact have pinkeye? In both eyes. And Roy has it too. Luckily we still had some drops left from last time, so we are just using those instead of going to the doctor (don't judge me) It now looks like Blaise has it too. It is a huge struggle to get Rae to open her eyes for eyedrops every three hours. We have to literally pry them open. Ugh. It's almost time for another dose. But if we are going to be sick on Thanksgiving, pinkeye is a nice simple illness to have! :)

4 comments:

Chad Coleman said...

I don't judge you one bit. I found some non-expired drops in my medicine cupboard the other day and made a mental note of it in case anyone gets it this winter.

Looks like a very very pleasant Thanksgiving.

Oh, and this is Katie. I should sign Chad out and rewrite this, but I am lazy, and really really sleepy even though I have been lazy all day.

Bob, Dad and Grandpa said...

Sounds like everyone had a good Thanksgiving. We sure did except, Lilly is leaving in a few minutes. We sure had fun with her. Tell Rae and Blaise that a grandpa says hi!

Amy Jenks said...

It looks like you had a great Thanksgiving! It was such a nice day (compared to the past few weeks - that is) to be outside. We definitely enjoyed it. Too bad it didn't last long.

Audra said...

Happy Thanksgiving! It looks like fun!!