Saturday, January 31, 2009

Hmm, can't think of a title

Yesterday the kids and I went to Ottumwa,IA to go to Target. I needed to return the stuff I ordered that didn't fit and get a few other things. It really stinks that our nearest Target is 60 miles away. Bleh. And it's a super boring, slow drive to Ottumwa. We saw several signs that said "Share the Road" and had this picture:




I only saw one on the road though. We did pass a house that had Amish type clothing on the clothes line and a carriage parked in the driveway. Sometime I'd like to learn more about the Amish and Mennonite people that live around here. I see a lot of people shopping at Walmart with their dresses and special caps on, and I don't exactly know who or what they are. They drive regular cars and buy regular food. I feel pretty ignorant about the subjects, maybe I should read some wiki articles or something.

Anyway, it was a pretty good trip to Target. The kids had fun looking at toys and Valentine's Day stuff. I got a lot of things we needed and was able to put it all on gift cards from Christmas. I hope we don't need to make another trip out of town for a while. The kids are getting a little sick of it. We are going to attempt sledding today. The snow is melting pretty fast but hopefully there's still enough to get a few good slides down the hill at the park. We'll see.

Roy's mom is in Hawaii right now. How jealous am I? Pretty flippin' jealous. I don't necessarily care about Hawaii, I just want to be on vacation and be somewhere warm! Maybe I'll join my brother and his family in Florida for Disneyworld :) Or maybe I'll take the kids swimming in the indoor pool here and we can pretend it is summer - yeah, that sounds a bit easier and cheaper.

5 comments:

Sara said...

Really? I like the drive to Ottumwa! Then again, it's prettier in the summer or fall. Probably pretty ugly right now. I do love going to Target and Kmart there, though.

I think most of the people we see are mennonites. They are the ones who drive black vans.

Amish, I think, always drive the buggies. :)

Audra said...

There were Amish people cooking in a booth at Woodstock 99 facing the stage... I thought that was weird! Not the most religious and simple place.

You will have to share with us what you learn!

lindsey said...

i read an article about the amish once and it was very interesting. it was actually about how at 18 all the guys are given the chance to leave for awhile and explore the world and then decide if they want to come back. if they come back all the wrongs they committed when they were away are forgiven them. anyway i'm glad your kids are good in the car. lily is getting alot better. we drove to tucson and back yesterday (2 hours each way) and she slept the entire way back and played well most the way there. long comment.. sorry

Cami&Gentry said...

HEY! I'm sooo lost on here. The kids look so cute! I miss you!

Cami&Gentry said...

LOL! That was me. She is super big! I think Blaze looks like you. I know what you mean. This was my first Christmas away from home. I h ad a pretty good one though. SO, you're having a another boy. That's great! How is living in Missouri turning out for you? Tell the family I said hey. Miss ya!